Chokecherrys are ready

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poorboy

Junior
Reaction score
I am a beginer at wine makeing and I am looking for a good easy chokecherry wine recipe

There is some good threads in the "fruit wine" section of this forum. Might give you a good starting point.

You can probably find several "good" chokecherry recipes on the forum Poorboy but finding one that would be construed as "easy" may prove to be a challenge

The biggest pain will be de-pitting them. You could always ferment them seeds in, but cherry pits have a high cyanide content. I just de-pitted a bunch last season and pulled the juice from them using my steam extractor. The best part is, the cherries still have anough flavour post juicing to use for pie or jam. Stay tuned to my blog for the recipe once I get to it Fermented Fruits - Wine and Mead Recipe's

By the end of it all, It'll probably end up being a Mead.

Chokecherries can be very messy to work with, because there is so little fruit on each cherry you need alot of them. I don't have a steam juicer, so I have to get my hands a little dirty.

I'm not a fan of 'set' recipes (although I do appreciate getting ideas from them), and I'm playing around with chokecherries this year. You can read about it here: http://prairiewinemaker.wordpress.com/2009/11/05/chokecherry-table-wine-so-it-begins/

I was astounded at how pulpy the must became after squeezing the juicy paste out of the straining bag. Maybe a steam juicer is the way to go, but the good stainless steel ones will run you about $150 at least.

There are cheaper aluminum ones, but I head those are to be avoided.

I have made numerous batches of wine from chokecherries. The best way is with a steam juicer. Just remember that choke cherry wine is not very good until it ages about a year so don't be disappointed if it tastes strong at the beginning!!! vcasey,you are right! Northern Wino's recipe is a great recipe. I have made it a couple of times and it is very good!

Back