Chokecherries

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope mine hang on for two weeks as I'm going to be out of town next week. But I expect they will ripen and the birds will feast.

Yeah - you have to watch and get them quick - the birds will pick you clean easily in a day.

Started picking the cherries halfway there to a gallon bactch. Has anyone any recipies??

ForumRunner_20120724_121156.png

Just looked through posts and the cherry tree I picked from the cherries only ever go the colour that is in my picture but the tree at the side of it has cherries that are really dark like in the pictures posted earlier. I did not know that they were ok to use but now I do Im going back out so will have a mixture of cherries ;-)

Last edited:
Those cherries look awful light to me. How do they taste? When ripe you should taste sweetness coming through the astringency.

They are not as dark as the other tree they are sweet everyone that goes past when walking their dogs pick them ;-) I am going to pick the darker ones too now ;-)

Interesting. I've never seen them so light before. I guess they could produce all different colors. I just posted about my Golden Yellow chokecherries.

As far as making the wine, I prefer a more intense flavor and use at least 6 pounds per gallon or more. I make mine in a dry red style and add oak cubes to the fermentation.

There are three different colors of berries that the chokecherry produces: bright red, dark red/black and golden. Chokecherry season has ended here in Kentucky--at least my trees. So jealous.

I found this recipe in the WinePressUS recipe book:
Chokecherry Delight Wine​
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]
WineThief​
[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]
You will find that the Old Orchard or Welchs additions in the primary & at the end will not cover the Classic Chokecherry flavor of this wine, but will enhance & mellow it with a fruity cherry flavor. Lots of folks that don't really care for Chokecherry wine enjoy this wine because the Chokecherry bite is not as strong. But for those who really like Chokecherry they will find that their beloved Chokecherry flavor still in there alive & well. This is an excellent social wine with hors d'ourves or a nice dessert wine, & it can also be used with some types of foods with meals. Enjoy.​
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
1 gallon​
2.5 to 3 lbs ripe chokecherries
1 can (11oz) Old Orchard Frozen 100% Apple/Cherry juice or Welchs Pourable Cherry Sensation 100% juice concentrate.
2 lbs granulated sugar Starting SG 1.080 - 1.095
3.5 quarts water
1 tsp acid blend - if you have an acid test kit adjust acid to .60TA
1 crushed Campden tablet
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
wine yeast - Premier Cuvee or Montrachet
[/FONT]​
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Later: 1- crushed campden 1/2 tsp potassium sorbate [/FONT][/FONT]

Method

1. De-stem & sort berries discarding & bruised fruit. Put fruit in the freezer for approx 5 days. Freezing them will help release the juice in the berries.
2. Put thawed berries in a fine nylon straining bag, tie the top & place in the primary. Used clean or rubber gloved hands or large potato masher to crush berries being very careful to only crush the berries and NOT BREAK ANY OF THE PITS.
3. Put 2 quarts of the water on to boil. Once boiling add in the sugar and the dissolve completely, then remove from burner pour over berries in the primary.
4. Cover primary &wait 2-3 hours to set the color, then add the Old Orchard juice (or Welchs) &the other 1.5 quarts of water &the crushed campden tablet.
5. When cooled to room temp stir in the acid blend, &nutrient. If you have a hydrometer check SG &adjust if necessary with sugar or water to a starting SG of 1.080 - 1.095. Cover &allow to sit for 12 hours.
6. After the 12 hours add the pectic enzyme, recover &allow to stand another 12 hours.
7. At the end of the second 12 hours open the primary and sprinkle the yeast on top of the must and recover. In 4-6 hours stir the yeast in to the must and recover. Fermentation should start with in 24 - 48 hours.
8. Push the bag of fruit under the liquid 2 x a day, morning &evening to keep the fruit wet and to extract juice.
9. When SG drops to 1.010 (4-7 days) remove bag of fruit pulp & squeeze gently to extract juice & discard fruit. Siphon the wine into a secondary carboy, fit airlock & allow to sit for 2-4 weeks to completely finish fermentation.
10. When all fermentation is complete, rack off sediment in to a clean sanitized carboy. Stir in 1 crushed campden tablet, & 1/2 tsp potassium sorbate to stabilize. (Do not skip the campden & sorbate or fermentation will restart with the below juice addition in step 12)
11. Rack again in 2 months and then rack every 2-3 months until perfectly clear about 6-9 months.
12. When wine is perfectly clear and near bottling stage, rack to a clean sanitized carboy & stir in 1/3 can (no more) of Old Orchard Apple/Cherry concentrate (or welchs) to increase fruity flavor. Note, Some may prefer this wine with only the juice addition added at this point & tasting now will help you decide, but most will enjoy it sweetened back up just a tad more. Make a thick sugar syrup from 1/4lb of sugar & a small amount of water. Add small amounts of the sugar syrup & stir into the wine tasting with each addition. When you reach the desired level of sweetness reinstall the airlock and let it sit for at least 30 days racking one more time before bottling to remove any sugar or juice sediment.
13. Bottle & allow to sit for at least 8-10 months before tasting. It will be even better after a year.​
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

I think the 2 trees on the field must be 2 different varieties. Everyone seems to pick the dark red ones like I have but the tree at the side if it has deep black/purple which no one seems to pick and I was not sure until I saw the pics. I have decided to mix them and thanx for the recipie ;-)

Here in the uk they just cherry trees lol apparently the field belonged to a large house and it was their orchard many years ago , now its just a field owned by the council. There are apple ans pear trees too as well as elderberry and blackberry...they are my next to pick when ready ;-)

I didn't even know that chokecherries were edible. I have 3 Schubert chokecherry trees and one green leafed one. What do the berries taste like when ripe? What does chokecherry wine taste like?

I am on vacation right now but when I get home I will have to check on them!

David

Im half way there to a batch but the. Birds are at them:-(

I didn't even know that chokecherries were edible. I have 3 Schubert chokecherry trees and one green leafed one. What do the berries taste like when ripe? What does chokecherry wine taste like?

I am on vacation right now but when I get home I will have to check on them!

David

TART! As a kid, we had contests to see who could eat the most at one time with out spitting them out.
Crab apples were the other thing we punished ourselves with...LOL

Last edited:
Brew and Wine Supply said:
TART! As a kid, we had contests to see who could eat the most at one time with out spitting them out.
Crab apples were the other thing we punished ourselves with...LOL

How do you tell when they are ripe if not by sweetness?

How does the wine taste? I have never had any cherry wine let alone choke cherry. I am wondering if it is worth my time to try.

David

Does anyone have any choke cherry's left? I would like to bye some and have them shipped to me.. Please e-mail me at [email protected].. if you have any left :) thank you

Charity

Latest posts

Back