WineXpert Chocolate Raspberry Port - Finishing Questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've made dozens of kits, this is the first that bubbled this much after fermentation was done. I've got two days of 1.000, so I'll be finishing the kit soon, the instructional 10 day waiting period will be up on 9/25. No issue in waiting till then provided the SG remains constant? Thanks for the input.

Yep, I think Tim V. recommends leaving the wine at that stage for the full recommended time, even if the SG already says it is finished.

I just wanted to make sure you weren't just going by the bubbling, which now I realize you are not.

Not too many are able to get a CRP down to 1.000. I'll guess it was because of the extra nutrient you added.

Today it was 1.000 once again, gave it good whipping today, trying to degas a bit, may whip it more tomorrow. I have a pump vacuum degasser that I made, works pretty well, I use it more to give me an indication of the amount of gas left in the wine. Temp is about 74F, after whipping it was pretty still, that is, the former bubbling action is gone at the moment.

Hi just wondering how much dextrose you added? Did you mix it with water first or just incorporate it into the primary? I have 3 kits to make this fall so will be experimenting with at least one of them.

The Dextrose is included with the kit to boost up the abv to be a port style. Not sure exactly how much is in there but maybe someone has the kit handy and can weigh it.

I made this kit last year, S.G. including the dextrose addition was 1.140 and when I bottled it was 1.009. You definitely want to let this bulk age for a few months > 3. I bottled last year after ~3 months cause it wasn't dropping anymore sediment and was clear. I now have a fine layer of sediment in my few remaining bottles.

Yeah these kits really do benefit from a filtering or very extended bulk aging as they are very viscous and take a long time to finish clearing.

sdb8440 said:
Hi just wondering how much dextrose you added? Did you mix it with water first or just incorporate it into the primary? I have 3 kits to make this fall so will be experimenting with at least one of them.

I followed the directions and mixed the dextrose with water. I would guess that the dextrose weighted about 1 1/2 lbs.

One interesting thing was that prior to adding the F-pack, instructions direct you to remove 2 cups of wine, I had to remove shy of 4 cups to fit the entire F-pack. FWIW, I couldn't see tossing that base, so I blended it with some Petit Syrah-Zin into a 1/2 gallon jug and stuck an airlock on it...who know's maybe it will be good.

Racked today, and took a sample, simply amazing, saved some for my wife to try. Sorry I didn't buy two kits...next year for sure.

Latest posts

Back