WineXpert Chocolate Raspberry Port - Finishing Questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longtrain

Reaction score
My port kit has been coming along fine, no stuck fermentations or other issues to date. I took the recommendations of stirring and adding the additional dextrose over a three day period, adding the last batch this morning. After a good stirring it is perking along fine.

Assuming that it gets below 1.010 in a few days, and after completing the fining steps, what are the options on adding addition alcohol to the mix? Does the kit really need it or is just to up the ABV a bit? Any other recommendations for finishing this kit?

Thanks,

Tony

Update: The SG is now at 1.010 after adding the 3rd batch of dextrose. Instructions say to move to the carboy which is fine. But also 1.010 is where the instructions say to stabilize, add the F-Pack fining etc. So, how low can I let the SG go in the carboy before stabilizing etc? I assume that it will be a little less sweet the lower I go, which is probably more to my taste.

Last edited:
Never try and stop a fermentation in progress! It will usually result in a stressed yeast giving an off flavor or smell. Let it go as far as it will and when the sg is stable for 3 days then stabilize.

Let fermentation finish, add your f-pack, degas, use your fining agents and then, if you want a traditional port of 20-22% ABV, add brandy, vodka, or Everclear according to Pearson Square calculations.

Great, thanks for information, still bubbling away as of this afternoon. Looking forward to this one

I have done this kit both ways. First time I followed instructions. Turned out great and is basically drinkable at bottling. Second time I wanted higher alcohol so fortified with brandy to 20%. I prefer it this way but the brandy does take away some of the chocolate and raspberry flavor. Also will take at least a year in the bottle for the sharp bite from the brandy to mellow. Once it does, wow.

Since this was mainly made for my wife, I think that I'll stick to the recipe. BTW, what is the grape used for the base wine? ...still perking.

I don't know what grape is used for that port.

Let the fermentation continue until the SG has not dropped for 3 days in a row. Keep the temperature of the port in the 70'sF until it is racked.

I always add a brandy to my port, but it should be just fine without it. I think the raspberry and especially the chocolate flavor are a bit strong, it will be better after a year or so aging. Drink a few in a couple months, then save the rest for later. Two years makes this port really shine. Your wife should love this port.

W.E. never really reliquishes what grapes they use in most of their stuff.

Ok, mine is stopped at 1.010. It tastes a bit strong of alcohol and definitely a bit sweet. According to my comps, it stopped exactly at 18% ABV. I started at 1.146 with all the sugar in from the start.

Is this about what others are getting?

Is anyone getting below 1.000?

Actually most peoples stop before that and try and try to get it where yours is so you should feel lucky!

Ok, mine is stopped at 1.010. It tastes a bit strong of alcohol and definitely a bit sweet. According to my comps, it stopped exactly at 18% ABV. I started at 1.146 with all the sugar in from the start.

Is this about what others are getting?

Is anyone getting below 1.000?

No, 1.010 is good, it has been two years but I believe mine stopped at 1.010. I had to apply some heat and stirring to get it there. I have heard of others stopping at 1.020.

Give that port a year and it will be very nice. I added a full bottle of brandy to mine. We drank about a third of mine at about 6 months and a third at around 12 months. I haven't tried any of the last third for a year or so. I will be interesting to to find out how it tastes now.

Well, mine was at 1.000 yesterday, haven't checked today yet. BTW, I did toss in a small amount of yeast energizer (1/2 tsp) at the start of fermentation and the at the start of feeding the dextrose.
It does taste a bit strong (alcohol), it's got a few more days to go before adding the f-pack, etc.
The initial projected ABV was 16% with just the base, the additional dextrose will kick it up a percent or two, so, it's probably in the 18% range.

Thanks guys, that's interesting. If I had stopped at 1.020 then my ABV would have been about 16.7% which would be what they advertise (15% to 16.5%, but that's after adding the f-pack).

If I find adding the f-pack makes it a little too sweet I might withhold some sugar in the future to get a drier base.

BTW, I did toss in a small amount of yeast energizer (1/2 tsp) at the start of fermentation and the at the start of feeding the dextrose.

I used some nutrient and energizer at the start of mine, and more energizer when it got to about 1.020 (plus daily swirling). I didn't step feed the sugar, I added it all at the beginning. I used both packets of yeast and it has a considerable layer of yeast laying on the bottom. I'll probably rack today.

Geronimo, you added the dextrose all on day one? Maybe that contributed to your final SG?

But, from what I have read here and on other forums, you're well in the range to make a really good port, but some that finished with a higher SG, thought their's was a bit sweet, but others loved it, so, it's an individual preference.

Mine is still at 1.000, but giving off bubbles, got to point to the amount of yeast/sugar/gallon. Degassing will be a bit of a challenge if I want to bottle early. We'll see...

Geronimo, you added the dextrose all on day one? Maybe that contributed to your final SG?

But, from what I have read here and on other forums, you're well in the range to make a really good port, but some that finished with a higher SG, thought their's was a bit sweet, but others loved it, so, it's an individual preference.

Mine is still at 1.000, but giving off bubbles, got to point to the amount of yeast/sugar/gallon. Degassing will be a bit of a challenge if I want to bottle early. We'll see...

Giving off bubbles it meaningless. Until it is degassed, it will continue to bubble for weeks, even if fermentation is finished. Check the SG and if it has not changed for 3 days in a row, the port is ready for the next stage.

Trying to bottle a CRP early will leave you with lots of sediment in the bottle. It will drop chocolate for several months. If you want to give any of this port away as gifts and you want the port and bottles clean, you shouldn't bottle it for another 5 to 6 months.

Last edited:

I'm not sure, but it sounds like I got lucky to get to 1.010. I'm guessing that since my comps show 18% ABV I realistically couldn't hope for more without step feeding.

I realistically couldn't hope for more without step feeding.

You're good to go, post back with your tasting results, as I will mine, it will be good to compare notes on how they came out.

I'm not going to add any brandy to this one, my wife is a bit of a light weight when it comes to drinking, smooth, chocolate and sweet are right for her.

I read so much about stuck fermentations with this kit I got a bit nervous about it. I stirred well each day and added the yeast nutrient and did the dextrose in thirds, fermentation was never slow, very active really.

Giving off bubbles it meaningless. Until it is degassed, it will continue to bubble for weeks, even if fermentation is finished.

I've made dozens of kits, this is the first that bubbled this much after fermentation was done. I've got two days of 1.000, so I'll be finishing the kit soon, the instructional 10 day waiting period will be up on 9/25. No issue in waiting till then provided the SG remains constant? Thanks for the input.

Latest posts

Back