Chilean Syrah Juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longtrain

Reaction score
I just picked up my Chilean Syrah juice, once up to temperature, I plan to take a SG reading and pitch RC212 yeast.

Once fermentation finishes, I plan to add MLF to the carboy and transfer. Since primary fermentation will be done, should I top off the carboy?

Does this sound right any suggestions or comments?

Thanks,

Tony

Last edited:
The wine should be topped off during MLF, yes, because MLF doesnt create adequate CO2 protection for a low-fill levels..

I noticed some swelling from dissolved CO2 (in a degassed wine) during a spontaneous-MLF I experienced, but I fill my carboys rather high as well.. So you may or may not need to leave "a little room" depending on how high you normally fill..

But topped up, for sure..

I think I've read mixed things on this. If you are doing secondary fermentation and MLF at the same time, you can be just fine without being topped up. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Jim

I have made many, many kits and several Country wines. This is my first run with fresh juice.

My HBS tells me to ferment to dry in the bucket ~ 7 to 10 days, transfer to carboy along with MLF. My concern is that if I have headroom in the carboy during MLF, is that a problem? If there is no CO2 being created, what is protecting the wine prior to racking and subsequent topping off of the carboy for bulk aging.

Thanks, always learning...

Tony

Latest posts

Back