Chilean Rose Explosion

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zadvocate

Reaction score
I made a rose with a bucket of Viognier and 3 pounds of Syrah grapes. It turned out great. I had to back sweeten and used a commercial wine conditioner that I bought off of Morewine. The instructions stated that if you use the more than 1/3 of the bag you do not need to add sorbate. I added the entire 500ml. The wine was great. I gave it to my mother-in-law as a present and she loved it. I received a call asking why a couple of the bottles were leaking? There is also a white sediment in the bottles. So she took them outside and preceded to tell me how all afternoon she hears loud explosions from all the bottles popping their corks.

I didn't cold settle or filter this wine, I only relied upon the wine conditioner. Next time I will filter .5 micron and try to cold settle if I can. I will also make sure I add sorbate on my own and not rely upon the bag of wine conditioner.

does that sound about right? I really don't have much experience back sweating wine.

on a positive note, my mother in law said she hasn't laughed that hard in a while.

I made a rose with a bucket of Viognier and 3 pounds of Syrah grapes. It turned out great. I had to back sweeten and used a commercial wine conditioner that I bought off of Morewine. The instructions stated that if you use the more than 1/3 of the bag you do not need to add sorbate. I added the entire 500ml. The wine was great. I gave it to my mother-in-law as a present and she loved it. I received a call asking why a couple of the bottles were leaking? There is also a white sediment in the bottles. So she took them outside and preceded to tell me how all afternoon she hears loud explosions from all the bottles popping their corks.

I didn't cold settle or filter this wine, I only relied upon the wine conditioner. Next time I will filter .5 micron and try to cold settle if I can. I will also make sure I add sorbate on my own and not rely upon the bag of wine conditioner.

does that sound about right? I really don't have much experience back sweating wine.

on a positive note, my mother in law said she hasn't laughed that hard in a while.

That's a bummer to make a nice wine and have that happen, guess the sorbate in the conditioner was old or no good. Next time around, you can certainly do all of the things you said, but all you really need to do is use fresh sorbate at sweetening time, and let the wine sit a week or so before bottling, just to make sure.

Latest posts

Back