Cherry Nutmeg. First try at spiced wine.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnM

Junior
Reaction score
Well this is my first try at a spiced wine. After a ton of reading and deliberation I decided to add the nutmeg in the primary, as I wanted it to be more of a background flavor than the first thing you taste. This is only my second try at wine. My first was a blackberry that is coming along great and sould be completely done sometime in mid April. Anyway back to the Cherry Nutmeg wine. I am only making a half gallon batch because it is my first spiced wine. I realize now I just got lucky on my blackberry with a good first wine for a 5 gallon batch. I used 2 lbs of sweet cherries and 1 1/2 pieces of whole nutmeg, 1/4 tsp of pectic enzyme, 1/2 tsp acid blend and 1/2 tsp of yeast energizer, 1.10 lbs of sugar (digital food scale is a life saver) and Red Star Premier Cuvee yeast. I just used a 1 gallon glass jug for the primary and I have a 1/2 gallon jug for the secondary. :b

First Pic. I will add pics of the secondary in 14 days and keep this thread rolling until the wine is finished and give a taste report.

DSC05937_zps0119f9a5.jpg

I am in the process of making cherry wine (although, not spiced). Personally, I like to give my primary more air -- and do not keep my primary under airlock. I cover mine with a towel and use a bungee to keep the dogs out.

Latest posts

Back