checking sg

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kahaas56

Reaction score
when checking the sg using a wine thief and jar can you return the wine to the carboy or is better to discard the wine. All equipment is sanitized

Never discard it! It is wine after all :0) I usually return mine, unless like dralarms noted it is time for a taste. Sometimes I return the majority and sample the remainder. Usually you won't affect the overall level by much, but like Tony said, keep an eye on the liquid level in your carboy in case you need to top off.

I return mine most of the time. Maybe an ounce gets sampled. Just make sure you sanitize the jar so you don't put any bad stuff back in the batch.

Now I don't understand that. I'm not drinking out of a dirty glass and I'd wager that your mouth has more bacteria in it than using a unsanitized glass.

Now I don't understand that. I'm not drinking out of a dirty glass and I'd wager that your mouth has more bacteria in it than using a unsanitized glass.

Great point. I put my wine into a beaker, not directly into a glass. Anything in the glass is gone, while wine remaining in the beaker is returned. I'm sensitive to not topping more than necessary so I generally don't drink more than a taste and use a small tasting glass.

Latest posts

Back