Cheap fermentation buckets?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think their statement is a CYA deal, because then that would mean that no plastic container is wine safe, since the food safe stuff is all made from the same plastic. The buckets you buy from the wine shop are not safe, either, then.

Let's be real about it: The alcohol will kill you long before the plastic does. But I'm not buying that Rubbermaid statement. I'll go back to the standards later when I have time, but I believe they have to withstand acids to legally be food safe.

jswordy said:
I think their statement is a CYA deal, because then that would mean that no plastic container is wine safe, since the food safe stuff is all made from the same plastic. The buckets you buy from the wine shop are not safe, either, then.

Let's be real about it: The alcohol will kill you long before the plastic does. But I'm not buying that Rubbermaid statement. I'll go back to the standards later when I have time, but I believe they have to withstand acids to legally be food safe.

I see where Austin Homebrew has free shipping for orders over $49 bucks for the next two days ... Buy glass if you are stressed about plastic.

I'm not stressed about plastic primaries at all. Like I say, when we ferment we are creating a hazardous material we're then putting voluntarily into our bodies.

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9923956

If there does happen to be a problem (which I don't think there is), then the alcohol will get ya before the plastic does.

Primary fermentation at a commercial winery in Oregon...

Now THAT's NAPA know-how. :D

Latest posts

Back