Chardonnay Primary Fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millzy64

Reaction score
I just started my new batch of Chardonnay over the weekend. I cold macerated for 24 hours and pressed it on Sunday. Yesterday I pitched the yeast. This morning its foaming away nicely and now I have two questions. First, should I stir it at all during the primary. I've read a bunch of articles on stirring the lees during secondary but I get conflicting stories about doing it during primary. Secondly, should I cover the primary after a couple of days? I can't seem to find an answer to this. Some sources say to keep it open (with only a towel, etc) so the yeast can get enough O2, other sources say to "cover". Any recommendations? Thanks! Bob

My opinion....

1) I would gently stir. You have to punch down the cap on fruit wines, that is like a gentle stir. So I would for the first few days.

2) I would cover it with a towel, or set the lid on top, but don't latch. It needs a little air.

Thats my 2 cents....

I could be wrong

I don't think you are wrong,Goodfella. That would be my opinion also!

I believe the stirring you are referring to is for Battonage and that is done after primary fermentation with all the lees to get that buttery taste and mouthfeel. If you are not referring to this then a simple punch down of the cap at least once a day is required. Leaving to must exposed is a good thing in the first few days until the sg reaches around 1.025 or around there and at that point you want to start thinking about using the remaining gases to blanket your wine for oxidation protection.

As always, thanks for all the quick responses. I'll punch down the cap and wait a couple of days until I cover it. Sure is smelling good in my basement. I have a batch of Chard, Cab and Pear cooking all at once. I'm going to need more carboys!

Latest posts

Back