Chardonnay frozen crushed and de-stemmed grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well truly, MLF vs no MLF is really a stylistic choice. Ie, oaky buttery vs fresh and fruity... However, I would be tempted to do MLF on the whole batch since I am not sure if your skin contact is really going to be cohesive to the idea of a fresh and fruity white.

Grape must showing signs of thawing this morning, I think that I will try to get it all out from the 3 buckets and placed in a big plastic tub to help break it down more. Will probably add opti-white at that point and/or before pressing.

Barrel patiently waiting....:ft

Emptied buckets into a plastic tub to help break down some ice clumps, it is all watery now....getting nervous as I could press tonight, it is ready to press.

Calibrated PH55 meter and the PH came up to 3.53
Will try checking TA with it tomorrow when I press (could not pickup the press today due to snow/ice coming down around here

Grape must temp is around 41F.....
Added less than 1/4 tsp of kmeta to each bucket once in the plastic tub and stirred well. Placed back into buckets and put lid on them.

Waiting game until tomorrow afternoon..:slp but getting nervous, hope I can sleep tonight.

Last edited:
You are going to want to wait until the must is fully thawed and well mixed before you take any PH/TA or Brix readings.. and I did emphasize well mix and well thawed.

Thanks LeChat,

not sure who is the smart *** "not worth saying his name", but I care less....smart people share their knowledge in a positive way, smart asses not so much..

Oh, and the batch has been going great so far....I'm sure he will copy/paste these comments now..... :)

IDC.

Last edited:
Oh, looks like I did not say anything since apparently my post is no longer there.

It's just a big mystery...

I am not sure why it was removed. If it was because of the direct link, a simple edit would have done the trick.

I guess it's better to cut off your hand when you have a splinter too because, you know, reasons!

As far as I am aware, the post I have made did not break any of the 15 forum rules.

Last edited:
I am not sure why it was removed. If it was because of the direct link, a simple edit would have done the trick.

I guess it's better to cut off your hand when you have a splinter too because, you know, reasons!

As far as I am aware, the post I have made did not break any of the 15 forum rules.

Without the link there would have been no purpose for the post.

If you ever take issue with our moderation or the actions we take please feel free to contact me directly.

Edit: Gene, if you're reading this lets start a dialogue. I tried posting to your site but it's still a comment in moderation.

Latest posts

Back