RJ Spagnols Chaptalize with F-pack

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richmke

Reaction score
Well, you learn something new every day. If there were still a Port Forum, I would post this there.

So, I am making the RJS Coffee Port. Since the F-pack makes it too sweet for my taste, I pour it into the primary to ferment it.

In the past, I added 1/2 the F-pack at SG 1.010, and the balance when it got back to 1.000. This time, I added the entire F-pack at 1.020, and let it ferment until it gives up.

Prior to adding the F-pack, the SG was dropping at 0.015 per 1/2 day. After adding the F-pack, the SG went from 1.020 to 1.060. It then started dropping at 0.005 per 1/2 day. I hope it finishes under 1.020.

What I am thinking is: There are stabilizers in the F-Pack that killed off a lot of the yeast. So, next time I will step feed the f-pack in maybe 1/4 additions to keep from shocking the yeast as much. I think when I added the 1/2 f-pack it also slowed the fermentation.

I am new, but if there are stabilizers in the f-pack, and it makes the port to sweet for your taste, wouldn't it be better to do a little sugar step sweetening during the process to boost the abv and adjust sweetness? instead of the f-pack, that is.. and I will stand to the side and wait for correction.

Rich:

I've added parts of f-packs to both ports and regular wines before, but I've done it prior to pitching the yeast. I've done this a handful of times and have never had an issue with fermentation starting or finishing. What was your starting SG? It could just be that the yeast is getting tired and has slowed down a bit. (Also know that @ibglowin recently did a Rose and put the entire fPack into primary with no issues.)

Well, you learn something new every day. If there were still a Port Forum, I would post this there.

Take a look at this thread.
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53532
If you'd like the port thread back, please mention it. I have no idea why it was removed in the first place and the Admin has yet to respond. Hoping that if there are enough people speaking up, it will be put back. It's not like it didn't have any activity.

So the big question here is what was the starting SG? Perhaps the starting SG plus the addition of half the f-pack all at once has pushed the ABV up towards yeast tolerance?

I had no issue adding an entire f-pack up front but the starting SG with the f-pack was only like 1.095 IIRC.

I am new, but if there are stabilizers in the f-pack, and it makes the port to sweet for your taste, wouldn't it be better to do a little sugar step sweetening during the process to boost the abv and adjust sweetness? instead of the f-pack, that is.. and I will stand to the side and wait for correction.

Let's say the entire f-pack is too sweet for your taste. If you only like 1/2 of the sweetness, then you add 1/2 of the f-pack. What do you do with the other half? There are flavorings in there that you loose by not adding it to the wine.

For non-dessert wines, adding part of the f-pack prior to stabilization will allow the sugar to ferment (boosting the alcohol), and keep the flavoring. The rest is added after stabilization to add sweetness and flavoring.

In the case of the port: My thought was add it all at once, and the yeast will ferment as much as it can, and leave about the right level of sweetness for my taste.

> So the big question here is what was the starting SG?

Starting SG was 1.116. Yeast is EC-1118 (18% abv tolerance)
At 1.020 (13-14% abv), I added the F-Pack, and raised the SG to 1.060. After 24 hours, it is at 1.050 (14-15% abv)

Prior to adding the F-pack, the SG was dropping at 0.015 per 1/2 day. After the addition of the f-pack, it immediately slowed to 1/3 that speed.

I think it is the quantity of the f-pack vs the volume of the wine. For a regular kit, it is 1/2 F-Pack to 6 gallons of wine. For a port kit, I added an entire f-pack to 3 gallons of wine (4 times the concentration).

Next kit, I will try adding 1/4 of the f-pack at the start, and 1/4 each time the SG is between 1.000-1.010.

Last edited:
I see. Thanks. As I said I'm new. And I appreciate the explanation. It helps me learn.

Would the slowing be from the abv being above the 13% tolerance, at 14-15%? again, just asking as I am learning and your thread is teaching me much.

Latest posts

Back