Chapitalization

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandyRhea

Junior
Reaction score
I grow and make Muscadine wine. Muscadines taste sweeter than vinifera grapes, but the S.G. is rarely above 1.07.

When calculating how much sugar to add to the must, do you use the total volume of liquid, skin and pulp, or just the liquid portion. Also, after the skins are removed, the volume obvioulsy decreases. If I add sugar at this stage, do I calculate based on the initial volume or just the new, smaller liquid volume?

When I made my Muscadine from grapes last year, I used the total volume with skins included when determining the amount of sugar to add. I started with about 12 gallons total and ended with just under 10 finished wine after squeezing skins and backsweetening my Red Muscadine.

Thanks Robie,

Well as detailed and informative as this document is, it doesn't address the issue for sugar. It takes great care to indicate whether to use the total or liquid volume for some additives, such as tannin, and it mentions chapitalization, but it doesn't suggest which volume to use for chapitalization. As basic as this question is, I can't find a definitive answer.

When you chaptalize you want to do it based on the volume of finished wine you anticipate. If you estimate you'll have 10 gallons after pressing then calculate your addition on this amount. If you are unsure, you could always wait until after pressing and add the sugar to your known volumes.

Chaptalization - another perspective

I have often had to add sugar to my must, usually as a reaction to high TA, but also to push the alchohol, and finally to add sweetness. I take a SG reading with a target in mind, usually around 1.1, +/- a couple tenths of degrees (adjusting for temp remember). I then take regular tap water and heat it on my stovetop, usually about 1 gallon and add b/w 3 and 5 pounds of cane sugar. I heat the solution so that the sugar is completely dissolved.

I have not yet added yeast but have usually already added pectic enzyme of "Booster Rouge" 24 hours earlier. I then add the super saturated solution that is frequently syrupy in texture. I give everything a very good stir and then take another SG reading. I should now be on my target. If I'm still a bit low I repeat the process (smaller amount) until I hit my desired SG.

It has always worked for me. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back