Carboy Exposed to Atmosphere

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gormless

Junior
Reaction score
I have been experimenting with aging wine in Fermonsters (PET carboys with widemouth lids). They are easy to clean and have found them to be satisfactory until...tonight I discovered one with a cracked lid. I’m unsure how long this escaped my attention - perhaps a few weeks? It’s not browned, but tastes a bit more mature than it’s other carboy brethren. I added 30 ppm k-meta. What else would you do?

I have been experimenting with aging wine in Fermonsters (PET carboys with widemouth lids). They are easy to clean and have found them to be satisfactory until...tonight I discovered one with a cracked lid. I’m unsure how long this escaped my attention - perhaps a few weeks? It’s not browned, but tastes a bit more mature than it’s other carboy brethren. I added 30 ppm k-meta. What else would you do?

I would rack to a carboy and taste it every month. You might have to bottle earlier than you planned.

It's probably too late since you addded SO2 and probably stirred it but oxidation happens from the top down. If you run into it again draw the wine from varying depths until the oxidation taste (sherry) is gone, then transfer the wine to a clean carboy leaving that depth behind.

It’s not browned, but tastes a bit more mature than it’s other carboy brethren.

You may want to consider adding some PVPP. I haven't used it much but it is indicated for white wines to help with browning, some oxidative aromas and excess phenols.

Back