Canada

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom

Reaction score
Anyone know anything?
Canadian Law to Require Allergen Labeling

If you're one of the millions of Canadians who suffer from food allergies, a new law will ensure you do not have to worry about potential allergens when drinking wine. Starting next year, some wines will carry a warning label with the words "Contains Eggs, Fish, or Dairy," as well as a sulfite declaration.

The law, announced by Health Canada, the country's department of health, is set to go into effect in the summer of 2012. It requires wines--both imported and domestic--that contain allergen-causing proteins to state the ingredients in common language. Instead of saying isinglass, albumin and casein, the labels must say fish, eggs, and dairy, respectively.

http://www.winespectator.com/webfeature/show/id/45108

I haven't heard of that, but it sounds like a kind of law our government would put in place. I will check around and see if I can find something out from my local liquor store this weekend.

Well in this case I HOPE "What happens in Canada STAYS in Canada"

I haven't heard of that, but it sounds like a kind of law our government would put in place. I will check around and see if I can find something out from my local liquor store this weekend.

It actually sounds like something the U.S. bureaucrats would do!!

I haven't heard of that either. Reading the article, it seems that only those wines fined and not filtered will have to sport the label and the wine producers don't seem overly concerned. It also says there have been no reported allergy problems so is it being proactive or CYA?
It looks like the US bureaucrats already tried - according to the article a similar law was proposed in the US in 2006 but never adopted - common sense prevailed?

A country in northern North America. Canada is a North American country consisting of ten provinces and three territories. Located in the northern part of the continent, it extends from the Atlantic Ocean in the east to the Pacific Ocean in the west and northward into the Arctic Ocean. It is the world's second largest country by total area. Canada's common border with the United States to the south and northwest is the longest in the world.The land that is now Canada was inhabited for millennia by various groups of Aboriginal peoples. Beginning in the late 15th century, British and French expeditions explored, and later settled, along the Atlantic coast. France ceded nearly all of its colonies in North America in 1763 after the Seven Years' War. In 1867, with the union of three British North American colonies through Confederation, Canada was formed as a federal dominion of four provinces. This began an accretion of provinces and territories and a process of increasing autonomy from the United Kingdom.

Latest posts

Back