can I move these?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trufflehedgie

Junior
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am a grape newbie, interested in growing my own grapes and making home made wine. My husband and I recently bought a house with a very neglected yard, and I found some very scrawny grapes out by the shed. Is it possible for me to move them to a more appropriate/trellised area right now? Or should I just continue to clear out the weeds from around them (they were completely overgrown) until the fall and hope for the best?? It looks like they may have been bigger and cut off or mowed down at some point. Also anyone have any idea as to what type they might be?

DSCN0230.jpg
DSCN0227.jpg
DSCN0228.jpg

Like I have said before, it is a crapshoot what you have there. I would clear those out to remove sources of disease, decide what I truly wanted to grow and then plant those vines. They could be nive vines, or they are more likely wild vines that are very high in acid. Growing grapes well is a lot of work and I would rather put that work into vines that I know what they are.

Thanks for the advice! I hate to rip them up without knowing for sure (they do appear to be planted in a straight line along the shed), so I'll probably leave them where they are and give them the benefit of the doubt for a season or two just to see if they do anything interesting. They'll be my little experiment though, and I'll go get established grape vines for planting properly.

Back