Can I correct big mistake

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LCW

Reaction score
Some way I inadvertingly mixed K-sorbate instead of k-met I then proceeded to add 3 teaspoons of the mix to 3 gallons of muscadine must consisting of 22 lbs. of muscadines 9 qrts.water and 6 3/4 lbs. of sugar.no yeast has been added.Shall I just continue and add the yeast tomorrow or what.I did add 3 teaspoons of pectic enzyme before the k-sorbate mess.Any suggestions would be appreciated.LCW

I don't mean to laugh but I did chuckle when I read this only because i did this on my first batch of wine. First off, to get 50ppm of sulfite you need a gram of potassium metabisulfate in 3 gallons of must. That is about 1/8 of a teaspoon maybe slightly more. As far as the sorbate, try stirring the must like crazy and then make a yeast starter with about 3 packets of yeast, warm water sugar and a pitch of yeast energizer.

After a day add that mix in and be prepared to do it again if it doesn't take. Another thing: do not add malolactic bacteria. The interaction with the sorbate will cause a Terrible aroma in the wine.

I pretty much did that and so far all seems to be good Thanks LCW

Latest posts

Back