campden tablets addittion

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cxwgfamily

Reaction score
Most recipes I use are for 1 gallon batches that I increase for my 6 gallon carboys. My question is, do I add 6 Campden tablets when the recipe calls for 1 tablet for one gallon or is the Campden tablets good enough to only add 3 or 4 tablets for a 6 gallon batch. I just do not want to over dose.

Thanks in advance for the guidance. I find this forum really helpful.

Roughly 10 campden tables per teaspoon. The typical dosage is 1/2 tsp (per 6 gallons) for the initial dose after fermentation, and 1/4 tsp with rackings.

Someone tell me why anyone would screw around with Campden tabs when Kmeta in powdered form is so convenient.

I use the tablets and have for the last 20+ years. I think they are much more convenient than the powder, at least to me. I also enjoy chrushing them up in my mortar and pestle.:db

When do you actually add the campden tablets?
At first fermentation then wait 24 before adding yeast, when racking second fermentation, before degassing, before bottling. Theres like all different advise out there. Some just add campden tablets once, some every time they do racking... Whats the story with campden tablets?

This is what i do, after I crush my grapes I put the must in a 30 gal brute container i add my tablets ( 1 per gal crushed into fine powder). along with anything else i will be adding, sugar, tanin, acid, yeast energizer. 24 hrs later I add yeast. After fermentation is complete I press and add juice to carboys, I will let it sit for a about 1 week till the gross lees fall out. Rack, add crushed tablets ( 1 per gal) let sit with airlock for 2 or 4 months, Rack again let sit again 3 or 4 months do it again, them think about bottling. This works for me.:h

If you are only making 1 gallon, I challenge you to measure k-meta for 1 gallon.

What works for me: I take one of those measuring cups that's included with cough syrup, add 1/8 tsp of K-meta, fill with water to the 3 tsp mark, pour 1 tsp in the wine, discard the rest. I don't make a lot of 1 gallon batches anymore though.

Johnd,
How long does it take them to dissolve ?

Norton, I was being silly, sort of in line with the battle over powder or tablets. Sorry if I misled you, it wasn't intentional. I use tablets that I make from powder. ('That's a joke)

My rant? They're the same product, whether they're crushed or powdered, whether you have a scale to measure to a high degree of accuracy, or you guess using a teaspoon. You can buy bottles of tablets and run them through a coffee bean grinder to make powder if you like.

I'm all for sharing best practices, but if someone knows KMS is available as a powder but wants to use tablets, can't they do that? It's KMS, it protects your wine. Use it however you want, just use it.

Most recipes I use are for 1 gallon batches that I increase for my 6 gallon carboys. My question is, do I add 6 Campden tablets when the recipe calls for 1 tablet for one gallon or is the Campden tablets good enough to only add 3 or 4 tablets for a 6 gallon batch. I just do not want to over dose.

Thanks in advance for the guidance. I find this forum really helpful.

When the instructions call for one per gallon and you wish to make 6 gallons, then multiply x 6.

1-gallon = 1 tablet

3-gallon = 3 tablets

6-gallon = 6 tablets and so on...

I use both Tablets and Powder forms of Potassium Metabisulphite, =( K-meta )= {shorter way of saying it.} Do however watch for SMS = Sodium Metabisulphite which can add a undesired flavor to your wine.

As you continue your wine making you may find the powder form to be more convenient , and again you may wish to stay with the tablet. It's really "whatever works for you".

Latest posts

Back