Cabernet and Merlot Fresh Grapes from Deming, NM

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gas stations, Nurseries, Winery what else you wise guys do?
smiley36.gif

Al Fulchino said:
one yr at one of my 24 hour gas stations.......

my first one was a landscaping business....did another that i wont mention too.....always wanted to be a physicist, but never got around to it

ibglowin said:
Ah Hell, I think the Plutonium will get me long before the Aspartame does......
smiley2.gif

Plutonium...hmmm.... I just knew there had to be a secret to keeping all of those kits going at a perfect 75 degrees!!

Update on the vines down South in Deming, NM which had a record 4 days in a row of sub freezing weather and saw a low of -12 over all for a portion of the time back in February 2011.

Looks like the vines faired pretty well all things considered. They had a hard freeze April 26th and lost all the the Chardonnay, Viognier and Nebbiolo (all early bud breakers) for the year.

The Cab Sauvignon is looking good at the moment. Pictures attached. Some of those Cabernet vines are now 25 years old!

20110524_105040_deming-25-yo-ca.jpg

20110524_105105_deming-vines-bu.jpg

20110524_105210_paolo-josh-vine.jpg

Great photos, Mike. Gorgeous vines!

To bad about loosing those grape varietals.

I am helping a friend plant 1 acre of vines near by. We put in over 500 vines. Last Saturday we set his 2500 gallon watering tank; Thursday we will hook up the irrigation hose to each row and add the drippers. It is really great to be a part of this at this point, knowing he will have a nice vineyard in a few years.

St Croux, Fontenac, and about 4 others, which I don't remember the names of the others he bought. He went to great lengths to find vines that will survive this climate. He said the vines should be good to about 30 below.

I'll get the names of the others Thursday and pass them on.

Say, have you watched any of the last few episodes of oneacrewine on youtube lately? The guy is up to 21 episodes now!!!

He goes into great detail about how to start from scratch on a bare one acre. I was amazed at how he and the nursery propagated his cuttings so easily. Grape vines really do want to grow!!!

I'll bet he spent $20K on his new one-acre just putting in the posts, wire and irrigation, all before one grape vine was planted. Really a professional job.

I have really enjoyed that series of videos.

Latest posts

Back