Other cabarnet sauvignon kit recommendation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spol73

Junior
Reaction score
Since my first Welch red wine came out pretty good, though with high alcohol content -15%-i decided that I'm ready to make something real. We are cab drinkers and prefer west cost over european wines. What we look for in a wine is well pronounced and easily noticed fruit taste. Some of our favorites are Franciscan Estate and Greg Norman (australian) both $13 wines. I want to try kits that will offer equivalent taste. Just to be clear Blackstone Robert, Mondavi Private Selection, obviously Sutter Home and Yellow Tail equivalents will not work for us.
Would California Connoisseur: Cabernet Sauvignon do the trick? Seems like a decent value. Thanks

A big second on that notion. Calfornia Cabernet En Premier is my favorite wine to date.

Cellar Craft Showcase Red Mountain Cabernet. It's not California, but it's dammm good.

I have a CC Red Mountain cab that I'm about to bottle this week, and an Eclipse Lodi Ranch 11 Cab being delivered tomorrow. Will give updates in about 1-2yrs.

Since my first Welch red wine came out pretty good, though with high alcohol content -15%-i decided that I'm ready to make something real. We are cab drinkers and prefer west cost over european wines. What we look for in a wine is well pronounced and easily noticed fruit taste. Some of our favorites are Franciscan Estate and Greg Norman (australian) both $13 wines. I want to try kits that will offer equivalent taste. Just to be clear Blackstone Robert, Mondavi Private Selection, obviously Sutter Home and Yellow Tail equivalents will not work for us.
Would California Connoisseur: Cabernet Sauvignon do the trick? Seems like a decent value. Thanks

The California Connoisseur kits are low end kits and you would likely not get the results you are looking for. One of the larger kits, at least 15-16 liters, and preferably one with grapeskins, would give you a much better product. These kits cost more than the smaller ones, but you will certainly enjoy the drinking part much better!

It's difficult to make a direct comparison between specific commercial wines and kit wines. That being said, however, I'll suggest what I tell other people who ask similar questions: spend as much money as you can. A high-end wine kit with grape skins will be more than worth the cost compared to a cheaper, smaller volume kit (at least for reds). If you go the cheaper route, it might turn out okay for your tastes, but it also might be rather disappointing. The extra money up front is worth it. A few examples that are worth looking into, two of which are from California:

RJS En Primeur (Delu Ranch Woodbridge Cabernet Sauvignon)
WE Eclipse (Lodi Ranch 11 Cabernet Sauvignon)
CC Showcase (Red Mountain Cabernet - I have made it and it is great)
RJS Winery Series Australian Cabernet

Also, be prepared to properly age any of these kit wines. There's a reason you don't really see Cabernet's on the store shelves within a year of harvesting/fermentation.

BTW, your Welch's red wine is a 'real' wine. It's just a wine made from a non-European grape.

I just bottled the Wine Expert Eclipse and it is excellent. No KT what so ever. Could drink now.

I really enjoy Spagnol's Grand Cru Cabernet Sauvignon. Not as expensive as some but still very good taste and body

My WE Eclipse cab is now 2 months into bulk aging. I tapped it on Saturday, and the initial taste was a bit of a yeasty mess. But after a 30 minute open, it was fantastic. Way, way better than I expected. It is going to be great.

I racked the RJS En Premier Woodbridge cab sauv yesterday. Smells amazing the taste is still a far cry from what it will became in at least a year.
at the same time I started RJS Grand Cru Cab Sauv and WE Eclipse Cab is being delivered.

I just bottled a WE Eclipse Lodi Ranch 11 Cabernet yesterday after seven months of bulk aging and it was terrific. Will be outstanding when it finishes bottle aging. Also love the CC Showcase Red Mountain Cab as do many here on this forum.

I would echo the sentiment to spend as much as you can. The 18L kits with skins are going to make a better wine than the commercial wines you mentioned and will only cost about $5/bottle.

I agree with going with top of the line. But I couldn't resist trying the RJS Grand Cru. Will try CC Showcase next.

Latest posts

Back