Mosti Mondiale cab post stabilization tweak

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knockabout

Reaction score
Oh help please! I have a Mosti Mondiale Cabernet (no grapes no skins 6gallons kit made into 6 gal.) that has been bulk aging -it was my first kit wine done in January. I thought taste would improve. I followed instructions but added some tanninlast month, big improvement there. The wine is still lacking in body and no complexity and not so yummyblah just blah blah. Rather than creating 6 gallons of sangria (and admitting defeat) can I try to save this by adding raisins now? I can chop and add 1 lb of dark raisins, and let it bulk age some more. Is this ok to do post stabilization? Will I have to add K+ sorbate again? will it save my friends the horror of 3 gallons sangria? What do you all think?
Thanks for thoughts opinions and advice!
Kim:slp

If you have the ability to check the ph and acid levels it may be a good idea.... Sounds like the TA is low....

I would NOT recommend adding raisins at this point. I believe you are well past the time for doing that. A little more oak, maybe? Most importantly, it needs time. I have found the Mosti kits take some time for the qualities to surface. They are still a bit light on the body end but they are not unpleasant by any means. Mostly, give it time to develop.

Too late to try to add body with raisins. That is a reocurring problem with a kit wine - thin; especially those kits without a grape or raisin pack.

Not much to do other than utilize a 6 gallon oak barrel. The barrel can make a big difference; the difference between a typical thin kit wine and a descent, $8 to $14 commercial wine.

Latest posts

Back