Buttery chardonnay/Apple wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rshosted

Reaction score
Ok, I've read all about how we are supposed to get a 'buttery' chardonnayby leaving yeast in the wine after the first racking and stirr it everyday for a month.

Well I have made an apple Chard. that I used mostly very green granny smith apples. I have it bulk aging after racking twice. Today, I went down to grab something in my wine room that is sitting about 58*F and saw a good 1/8 in layer of sediment on th bottle of the apple/chard.

I thought back to the article on making chards buttery. Do you all think this is apple that is just settling or do you think this film is yeast? I actually agitated the bottle by shaking it back and forth to get the sediment back into suspention (knowing it will clear again), but do you all think it is what I hope (yeast) or just left over apple clearing?

Does anyone know if the type of yeast would matter on if it makes it buttery? I used Lavlin ec1118 (off the top of my head)....

-Ryan

Wine Maker magazine had an interesting acticle on chards a couple few months ago and I remember that fermenting on lees was discused. As far as what is in your lees ??? I would say it is probably both apple sediment and yeast.

Pete

I agree with pete, it is probably both but if you have it clearing I dont think I would bother it. Just let it settle and rack itoff the sediment.

I also agree because it's not the yeast, but the proteins that are going to give you the buttery mouth feel.

I just tried this technique myself on a Chard I have going. I felt a bit sadistic stirring up the lees all the time!

Fermenting on the lees does give the chard more mouthfeel. Doesn't MLF also give a buttery or smoother flavor to chard?

Latest posts

Back