Butterscotch Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjbryner

Reaction score
All Ingredients are per gallon
You will need a total of 3 pounds of Butterscotch Candy keep one to make a f-pak and back sweeten
2 pounds of Butterscotch Candy ( I used Wal-mart Value brand)
Add simple sugar syrup to get a SG of 1.090
4 cans White Grape concentrate
1/2 tsp Tannin
Nutrient
1/4 tsp acid blend or citric acid
Yeast EC 1118 seems to work good.

Put the Butterscotch in a pan of boiling water and Boil it till it is completely dissolved and add it to your Primary before it cools.
After it cools I add the Grape concentrate and water to bring it up to with in my 1 gallon minus 4 cup mark.

Take your SG reading and add the simple syrup to reach your desired SG

When cool to room temperature add the rest of ingredients ( I try to wait at least 24 hrs till I pitch the yeast)

Top up with cold water if needed. Fit an airlock and leave to ferment. This may take a few days or a couple of weeks depending on the temperature. ( I try to keep the Temp for this around °70)

This is the first time I have made this and I'M SURE this recipe could use some tweaking! The early report of this wine is good but I think it would be a great wine if aged a few months.

If you try this wine let me know if change anything and how it turns out for you.

Thanks
TJ

Last edited:
It's odd I planned on making a about 3 types of wines this year............Well I'm up to 40 gals working and that's 7 different types.

I think I have a problem......... :se But at least I can blame it on my wife she said as long as they taste like they have I keep them coming.

Thanks bunches. This is one of the several projects I have planned for this weekend. Going to be fun :)

Well it seems that My Butterscotch has decided to do something strange. I was getting ready to bottle last night when I noticed What seems to be the process of MLF.... Not sure why or How.

There is no sign of "infections", no off taste, or smells. Actually the taste has improved a lot in a week. If you have ever made kefir grains (Tibicos) This is what it looks like.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia​
are a culture of bacteria and yeast held in a polysaccharide matrix created by the bacteria. As with kefir grains, the microbes present in tibicos act in symbiosis to maintain a stable culture. Tibicos can do this in many different sugary liquids, feeding off the sugar to produce lactic acid, alcohol (ethanol), and carbon dioxide gas which carbonates the drink.

Butterscotch (my favorite) is mainly made from sugar and butter. The sugar is all fermented away, so you have a lot of butter left. I don't know what that would do in a fermentor bucket.

It sure sounds good. Has anyone ever tried this before you?

Butterscotch (my favorite) is mainly made from sugar and butter. The sugar is all fermented away, so you have a lot of butter left. I don't know what that would do in a fermentor bucket.

It sure sounds good. Has anyone ever tried this before you?

May be BUTT, its the "value" kind so I doubt if "real" butter is there. Either way if there is "skin" coating try to remove it.
Whats the gravity?
Did you stabilize with k-meta and sorbate before adding f-pac?
When did you start it?
What have you done since starting.. etc

May be BUTT, its the "value" kind so I doubt if "real" butter is there. Either way if there is "skin" coating try to remove it.
Whats the gravity?
Sg was at .998 when it started to do this funny stuff.

Did you stabilize with k-meta and sorbate before adding f-pac?
It started to make little tiny bubbles before I could get to it (not your typical off gassing bubbles), That lasted just over 2 weeks then I stabilized it.

When did you start it?
Jan 20th

What have you done since starting.. etc
Before I stabilized it I racked it off to get rid of the small white "crystals" on top, waited 2 weeks then I added a flavor pak and back sweetened. Degassed it and it is now clearing.

Color is a nice brown and the flavor is close to butterscotch schnapps with a very full body.

After it ages for about 9 months I'll try a bottle and re-post here, But the early reports to my taste buds is there will be a 5 gallon batch done this year

Hmm...
after you added the f-pac whats the gravity?
Do or did you plan on backsweetening?

I back sweetened to 1.010 by using a simple syrup and also butterscotch chips. This gave me the flavor and sweetness I was looking for.

OK so, I have given 2 bottles out of this stuff, The feed back has been great.
They report it to be smooth almost like a butterscotch schnapps. One of them said it reminded them of a buttery nipple mix drink??? What ever this is ???

It's odd I planned on making a about 3 types of wines this year............Well I'm up to 40 gals working and that's 7 different types.

I think I have a problem......... :se But at least I can blame it on my wife she said as long as they taste like they have I keep them coming.
Think Big ,Man or get drunk:p:d

Buttercup wine

Well I started this wine this afternoon with my granddaughter Kelly helping. My nickname for her is Buttercup so that is what I will name the wine.

So for those who have made this how did it turn out?

How well does this keep? Do you have to drink the bottle quickly or refrigerate it after opening? Or is this something you could keep in a cupboard and occasionally pour over ice cream or mix into hot chocolate?

i haven't made this but beings that it's a lower alcohol wine i would think that once open you would have to drink it within a few days. maybe i'm wrong, can anyone else answer this?

Do you think it would still taste good if you boosted the alcohol content up to that of a port?

i haven't made this but beings that it's a lower alcohol wine i would think that once open you would have to drink it within a few days. maybe i'm wrong, can anyone else answer this?

Well it is pushing 12% ACV, so you treat it like any other table wine. Could always vacuum seal, refrigerate and extend the life or bottle in 375/500s so you have smaller portions.

Do you think it would still taste good if you boosted the alcohol content up to that of a port?
You do not want to lose the butterscotch in the alcohol, and you want to make sure it has good body if you go there. I think fermenting this to at least 15% ACV so it is at dessert level and see what it is like, and go from there. I make a buttery apricot liqueur using a blend of pure grain, brandy and vodka, and a kiss of butterscotch schnapps--very nice.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back