bulk aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrdillon5

Junior
Reaction score
I have a bunch of 1 gallon batches of mead going right now. Two one gallon batches of apricot mead are a couple of months old and still are a little hazy. I figured removing the airlock and plugging the gallon jug bottle would be sufficient to bulk age them. I plugged them in the morning and when I came home later that afternoon, the plugs were missing and the mead was open. I put back on the air locks. Did they blow out because it wasn't done fermenting? I don't have a keg system to bulk age. Next time should I just leave the airlock in place while it bulk ages or should I go back to aging them in a bottle?

I know with carboys, the solid plugs can scoot out on their own if the plug or the inside of the neck of the carboy are wet. Dry both surfaces, put plug in and give the plug a twist until it sort of freezes up and won't twist anymore.

Another possibility -
Had you noticed if the air locks, which had been on before, were still bubbling at all? If so, the mead is either still fermenting or it hasn't been fully degassed.

robie said:
I know with carboys, the solid plugs can scoot out on their own if the plug or the inside of the neck of the carboy are wet. Dry both surfaces, put plug in and give the plug a twist until it sort of freezes up and won't twist anymore.

Another possibility -
Had you noticed if the air locks, which had been on before, were still bubbling at all? If so, the mead is either still fermenting or it hasn't been fully degassed.

One had a limp balloon on it and the other an airlock and no bubbles (at least in the time I watched it). I did not dry them off, I will give that a shot. Thanks.

Maybe degassing. Why not just leave the airlocks on? No 02 getting in and the Co2 can find its way out. Win win

Calvus said:
Maybe degassing. Why not just leave the airlocks on? No 02 getting in and the Co2 can find its way out. Win win

I have found that if I have two identical batches going and I bottle one of them, the bottled batch clears within a week (though their is more 'stuff' that settles out in the bottles). The un-bottled batch can go another two months before it clears like the bottled batch. I was hoping plugging the gallon jugs would have the same effect as corking the bottles and the 'stuff' gets left behind in the the jug. Just trying to speed things up. Patience Grasshopper!

After they finish fermenting, they can gently "off gas" for some time.

If that stage, even slightly coincides with a change in ambient barometric pressure, it can cause a slight build up of CO2 that causes solid stoppers to pop out.

It's easiest to de-gas before bunging with a solid stopper......

Calvus said:

Well, the stoppers keep popping off! Back to leaving the air locks in.

Latest posts

Back