WineXpert Bulk aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

promo0

Junior
Reaction score
Hi again all. My friend, the one who filters his reds and siphons by mouth (his wine that is), also recommends bulk aging for as long as six months in a carboy. According to the Winexpert Luna Rossa kit I have, the instructions call to move the wine to the bottle after the last racking and clearing, etc. Any thoughts on this? BTW, I should be moving my Luna Rossa to the carboy tonight for secondary fermination, haven't checked the SG yet, but the bubbling fizziness has definetly died down and the oak chips have sunk. Of course I won't decide to rack until the SG is where it needs to be.

Thanks,

Promo

As stated earlier today on another topic, I used to be a big advocate of bulk aging. I now think it is better to not rush the wine into bottles, but go ahead and bottle when you are sure the wine is clear, degassed, and stable. Bulk aging is so you can accomplish all the steps neccessary to make sure it is good to go. This may include testing for SO2 levels, sweetening, fining, filtering, racking, acid testing, etc.

Is this confusing?

I was planning to allow several weeks for the wine to clear and stabilize, but six months?

Thanks.

I'm sorry, my above comments are mostly for scratch/country/fruit wines. Follow the directions for the kit to the letter. It will be ready to bottle way before 6 months. You are smart to go by SG when moving from step to step. You can go past the amount of time on the directions, but don't do anything ahead of time.

Good job!

Latest posts

Back