bulk aging v. bottle aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very interesting, but Wade is not doing a good job of killing his brain. Give it another beer.

WHen you move the wine from aging in carboy to bottle, do you use campden tablets. If so how do you do that, half a campden tablet in each bottle? Or do you use potassium sorbate/Kmeta? Or do you don't add anything?

WHen you move the wine from aging in carboy to bottle, do you use campden tablets. If so how do you do that, half a campden tablet in each bottle? Or do you use potassium sorbate/Kmeta? Or do you don't add anything?

The answer is that it depends. Your SO2 levels should be maintained at the level required by your Ph. If you don't have a means to measure one or both of them, this is what I did prior to measuring SO2 and Ph:
If it's been 2 - 3 months since my last dose of KMS, give it 1/4 tsp of KMS / 6 gallons and bottle it.
If it's been 2 months or less, hit it with 1/8 tsp KMS / 6 gallons and bottle it.

As JohnT said, make sure your bottles are sanitized with KMS before putting your wine into them.

I make Cab Sauv. using an imported concentrate. I bulk age it for 6 months and then bottle. At 9 months it is becoming drinkable and at 11 to 12 months it is ready to go.

Latest posts

Back