Bulk aging questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronnied

Reaction score
I am in the start of the 2nd month of bulk aging a VR Pinot Blanc in my 6 gallon carboy. I want to do this for at least 6 months before bottling. How often and how many camden tablets should I add to my wine while bulk aging? Should I crush up the tablets in water and how much water should I use?

This is my first try at bulk aging and only my 3rd batch of wine. Thanks for any help anyone can give me!

You want to crush and dissolve the tabs before adding. Once you stabilized the wine figure about every 90 days add. Also, make sure the airlock stays full.

I agree - Crush 1 campden tablet per gallon every 3 months.

I would also use wine to dissovle it - not water. Just draw a little out mix the crushed tablets in and put this back in the wine.

I agree - Crush 1 campden tablet per gallon every 3 months.

I would also use wine to dissovle it - not water. Just draw a little out mix the crushed tablets in and put this back in the wine.
Be sure to crush them real good, they should look like talc.

I am in the start of the 2nd month of bulk aging a VR Pinot Blanc in my 6 gallon carboy. I want to do this for at least 6 months before bottling. How often and how many camden tablets should I add to my wine while bulk aging? Should I crush up the tablets in water and how much water should I use?

This is my first try at bulk aging and only my 3rd batch of wine. Thanks for any help anyone can give me!

rack onto 1 crushed campden tablet per gallon, and 2/3 teaspoon of sorbate per gallon, mixed and dissolved in a little water or like someone else suggested some of the wine would be better

I agree with winemaker that the k-meta is best in powder form unless if you're only doing a gallon at a time.

You only need to add sorbate if you're planning on back sweetening or adding an f-pack. The rate on the bottle is 1/2 tsp per gallon, not sure why the above poster mentioned 2/3 tsp.

I think I read somewhere that if the alchohol % is higher than 14 then you don't have to add the campden tablets as often is this true.

I am not sure about that Catfish but, If I have 4-24 months invested in a wine, you can bet your arse I'll spend a few cents to protect it.

Thanks everyone for your help. What I am hearing is 1 camden tablet per gallon (that would be 6 in a 6 gallon carboy) crushed up and disolved in wine from the carboy and added every 90 days while it is in the carboy. Clean out the air lock and keep sanitizer fresh in that each time as well.

This information is so helpful to me as a NEWBIE! Thanks again!!

Do the camden tablets have a taste? Will they effect the taste of the wine

Why are "we" so worried about adding Camden if we're bulk ageing, if the wine was bottled it probably will be exposed to more O2 than bulk? bk

Catfish, the campden doesn't effect the taste until you get about 50 parts per million. You really should have a way to measure it, you will want about 30 ppm at bottling time. :b

Will do Dan.

Planing to bottle sometime mid-June and drink a little at the same time.

Latest posts

Back