WineXpert Bulk aging question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isanti

Junior
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is my first post. We are new to wine making...and so far are having alot of fun. I have been reading about bulk aging your wine in the carboy for 6 months to a year before bottling. This is something we would like to try (we are making only red wines). My question is, if we do bulk age the wine in the glass carboy - how is this done? Do we need to seal the carboy or do we just leave the stopper with the airlock in? I also read something about making sure it is topped off?? I am not sure what that means.

Any help from you experienced wine makers would be greatly appreciated! I am enjoying reading all the pasts posts and learning a lot!
smiley1.gif

If you are talking about kit wines, follow the directions explicitly.

Bulk aging is done under airlock,after stabilization, clearing or fining, sweetening, etc. The advantages to bulk aging are few. It will allow you to insure the wine is stable and ready for the bottle. Stable includes degassed.It will keep you from drinking it all before it is properly aged unless you use a long straw directly from the carboy.After a few months bulk aging, the wine might have a dusting of sediment which you can rack off of and will be less fallout for the bottle.

If your wine is stable, clear, and degassed completely, you might as well bottle it, but bulk age if you want. I do.

Welcome to the forum.

smiley4.gif

I am personally leaning towards bottling when my wine has been stabilised, cleared and is no longer dropping any sediment. My reasoning is that in the bottle, I can follow the development of the wine as it ages. RE: try a bottle in 2-3 months, another in 6 etc, etc, compare the changes and from that determine the best age to declare my wine ready for full enjoyment. But in this world of wine making...To each his own!!!

And Welcome to the best Wine Making forum on the internetEdited by: Waldo

I normally follow the same plan Waldo described. I guess if you have the Carboy's to do it, go for it.

I myself still haven't figured out the difference of aging in the bottle vs. the Carboy. I guess I can see the degassing aspect but so far, I have done a good job of degassing and not had a problem with retained CO2.

I have been reading up on making wine from grapes and I can see the value of bulk aging with scratch wines as there are many more solids that a kit. I could see the value of bulk aging there.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Exactly. With a kit, always follow the directions, which do not include bulk aging, in most cases.

I forgot to add, I have made 2 kits, the Cellar Craft kits that the directions state that if one chooses, to bulk age in the carboy. These were grape pack kits that as one knows, has more solids in them.

I guess I can understand ones desire to put individualism in their wines but I can't understand this in kit wines. I guess I can understand adding some extra oak and the such but these wines are designed to be processed a certain way.Deviations certainly change the structure of the wines. To me, this is the perfect reason and opportunity to branch out into country wines as well as processing your own grapes and chemicals into your own wines.

I have often thought about buying a bucket of the sterile musts and allthe chemicals or ingredients and such and make a "scratch" kit from these non-concentrate juices. Would be interested to see how they compare with the kits.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Smurfe

The only bulk aging I have done with kit wines is when adding oak cubes for 8 weeks.

Bulk aging ensures me that my wine is totally gas free. I've been convinced that I did the proper amount of stirring and still have gas. It doesn't really hurt anything to have a slight amount of CO2. I just let the bottle air out for an hour or two. But it can sure spoil a romantic moment!

Bulk aging is good for your love life!

Thanks for all the suggestions and insights. I think a couple of you hit it on the head as to why we are thinking of bulk aging. One - I don't want to drink all the wine before it has had a chance to age a bit...I think if we bottle it, we will have a hard time not drinking it, especially since this is our first kit. Two...degassing....I have read exactly what one individual commented on - that the wine has a better chance of being properly degassed when bulk aged for a few months. I also think it will be easier for me to store a carboy during the aging process versus 30 bottles of wine.

Thanks again for all the comments and suggestions!

I would add that bulk aging will allow you to age the wine and not
drink it. If it is in the bottle, one is tempted to try it.
and then try it again. If you bulk age. No chance of that
other than a quick wine thief taste.

Enjoy your wine.

Vinmaker.

Vinmaker said:
I would add that bulk aging will allow you to age the wine and not drink it. If it is in the bottle, one is tempted to try it. and then try it again. If you bulk age. No chance of that other than a quick wine thief taste.

Enjoy your wine.

Vinmaker.

Heck, I know exactly how far to fill my wine thief to fill a glass
smiley2.gif

Smurfe
smiley1.gif
Edited by: smurfe

presume the tubing you use to rack the wine with doubles for intravenous
application of wine to self!
smiley4.gif

Latest posts

Back