Bulk aging a pain

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Odd... I bulk age in glass carboys for 12-18 months and never have to top off after the initial fill. What kind of stopper are you using? I use solid silicone bungs.

Before I was thermostatically controlled, if I did see any level changes it was because of temperature changes. But, now that I am therostatically controlled at 58 degrees I never see level changes.

Never see changes either.

Looking at the OP responses, he has a problem that most of us have - over sampling a bulk aging wine.

Racking after you finish fermentation usually requires a bit of topping up. Then 3 months later, a little topping when you rack it again. But, after that, you might consider skipping the racking and just dose the wine. Thief out a 1/2 cup of wine, dissolve your 1/4tsp of Kmeta in it, then dump it back in the wine. The sediment you’ll get after 3 months is fairly nominal, especially in a kit. So, why rack??

As for the sampling: stop that. Okay, not completely. But, your wine isn’t going to change too much week to week. Try tasting it before you dose it with Kmeta. And, when you taste it, an ounce or two is sufficient.
If you dose it like this do wouldn't you need to stir?

Congrats on the future new toy. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. I don’t think I’ve heard any opinions on that before. I assume being made by Vinmetrica that it’s legit. Keep us posted.
You would think my wife would just give it to me now so I can use it...but I guess a week longer won't kill me

On this topic I'm curious...head space having O2, I saw earlier this season somebody was flooding the carboy with co2....I just carbonated hard cider regently and have it..any thoughts?
Also after xmas I can post about the vinmetric mlf tester santa is bringing me if you guys are curious
I have a soda stream that I use to put CO2 in the bottle if I don't finish it with the wife, it helps but it's pretty much impossible to get all the oxygen out.

I have a soda stream that I use to put CO2 in the bottle if I don't finish it with the wife, it helps but it's pretty much impossible to get all the oxygen out. I would not trust. Really what someone needs to invent is a cheap inerting device. They have one for bottles that inerts argon into the bottle, however it won't work on carboys and the cartridges are overpriced and not worth it unless you have $100 bottles of wine sitting around.

I think the way to go is use 5-gal carboys instead of 6 and use 1-gal or 1/2 gal jugs for the extra to be used for topping up and tasting etc.

I think the way to go is use 5-gal carboys instead of 6 and use 1-gal or 1/2 gal jugs for the extra to be used for topping up and tasting etc.
Bah, what happens with the leftover wine that doesn't fit in the 1/2 gallon. Have to drink it I guess. I think if I had to buy odd sized carboys..one is just better to bottle it and have the will power not to drink it.

Back