bucket fermenter problems

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrandal

Junior
Reaction score
Has anyone else had problems with the lids on buckets? Mine weren't closed securely. Not sure if someone was sampling or they came loose when moved.

I've only used the lid a few times. I found it really hard to put in place properly. It would seem to be on but would pop off a bit on it's own. I had to really jam it in place to make it stay. Decided I didn't really need it and now just use a muslin cloth to keep any flying critters out.

Pam in cinti

On my very first kit wine, just last yea,r I never got any bubbling in the airlock. Turns out that the rubber seal had about an inch missing making it a a broken ring. LHBS had an extra seal which they gave me and the new rubber seal fixed the lid problem.

if its in the primary , i would forget the lid...cover with muslin cloth, paintsprayer bag, etc...something...

Even after plenty of use, I still have to really put some effort into securing the lids on my fermenting buckets, I use the brewcraft 30 liter buckets, but you should hear the lid snap shut several times as you go around the edges.
I always cover the primary with a lid and airlock. If you are using a 7 or 8 gallon fermenting bucket for a 5 or 6 gallon batch of wine, it'll have plenty of space in it for oxygen a it starts to ferment, and I don't worry about those freaking gnats or fruit flies getting through the cheese cloth. Never had a problem.

Last edited:
Has anyone else had problems with the lids on buckets? Mine weren't closed securely. Not sure if someone was sampling or they came loose when moved.

Which bucket do you have?

I ask because I have two different styles, a 7.9 gallon one from brew craft that has fixed handles (not a metal handle that swings up) that is a beast to get the lid on tight. I literally just figured it out after a year. I have two other buckets that are the 6/6.5 gallon Ale Pail (with swing up metal handle like you see on all five gallon buckets). These lids snap on tight pretty easily and stay on tight, I've never had one just pop off.

EDIT:
Links to products for pictures:

BrewCraft 7.9 gallon

Ale Pail

Last edited:
Back