Bucket and the Wine Thief

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky_Top

Reaction score
I like to test but I hate to open the bucket!!! ( Pull Off or Screw Lid )
I came up with this system to getthe wine thief in easy. Plus, No morerubber grommets!!

I cut the pvc pipe end off a (1 1/2" PVC pipe to 1 1/2 PVC thred coupling) Then cut the cap end off the cap leaving a nut. And then found a rubber washer at ACE to seal it. The rubber is on the outside to minimize exposure to the wine. ( I found later that I should have useda 1 1/2 electrical bushing as a nut. Properly used the plastic electrical bushing is used to protect the wire from the sharp edge of the metal pipe)
HPIM1121.gif
HPIM1124.gif
HPIM1129.gif
HPIM1133.gif

I use the same basic idea only I don't go through all the trouble of using all the pvc piping and such. I just use a forstner bit- I believe inch and an eighth and drill a hole in the lid or the cover, depending on bucket or plastic drum. I then can put a bung and airlock in it and use the plastic drum. When I need to take a sample, pull the bung out and get the sample- replace the bung and you don't need to remove the lid.

Good job improvising McGyver

I know. ....... I said to myself when posting that Wade would tell me that I need to get air in there and Appleman would have twenty of them just like it.
smiley36.gif
My first thought was to just cut a hole then adda bung but thought that I would save on cutting bungs up with the sharp edge over time.

RT, good idea...your container is a mini version of my flextanks which are variable capacity ( they have a floating skin sitting on the wine) so I have to peel the 'skin' back a bit to taste or do other tests...all of this means removing the main lid which is the only thing thus far that i dont like about the flex tank system ( the gasket slides loose sometime).

Sometime in the future I may develop my own floating skin and apply your idea to do my taste testing. thanks for sharing

That skin could be a problem. If it had a flap in the skin like a doggy door maybe???

I got the container on Ebay $10.00

Ebay search: "9 gallon barrel"

Wade, your hole has a bug? or is it your bug has a hole? either way i think you may have an issue :)

RT - That is a good deal to handle 9 gallons......

the skin has to be flexible to get past the lid opening...so *yes* it has to be a doggy door as you said.....good lead for me....thanks...i will have to think it thru....some type of grommet as you would see on a tarp but will need threads inside the hole for a cap/cover to screw into

Back