Brown Pants Cometh

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
There was a strange knock on my door this afternoon and it was a man wearing a brown outfit. He had a big box in his hands and was looking fatigued. After receiving this box i see why he was urgent to get this box out of his arms.
20071005_183756_Jobes_wines.jpg

This was a shipment from Jobe including 2 bottles of his original batch of Blackberry Port(YUMMMMM!!!!), 1 bottle of his last batch of Blackberry Port to compare, 1 bottle of Blackberry wine, 1 bottle of Amarone, 1 bottle of Lodi Old Vines Zin., 1 bottle of Stags Leap Merlot. The only thing wrong with this whole scenerio was that the person in the brown outfit was not the 1 shown in his earlier posts!!!!!!!
smiley13.gif
smiley36.gif
He also included some Mojo spices from Masta and some Dragon sauce. I know of bottle shock from bottling, is there a shock from shipping as I wouldnt want to open 1 of these awesome bottles and ruin it bit am also a little anxious to try some of these?

Glad they got there in 7 pieces, like they left here.

I would wait a couple of weeks to let them settle out. The Merlot and the Zin were just recently bottled, you will be rewarded handsomely by letting them age for a year...... or 2...... along with a bottle of the original port.

Those are great looking specimens there. Now you need to make another rack to hold them all! Remember they will improve with age and keep your mitts off them for now!

Too bad about getting the wrong pair of brown shorts there
smiley36.gif

I will give them their time in the bottle. The Amarone and the original Port Im told are aged and will be giving them time to settle but will open next month. Im going to give 1 of those 2 Ports bttles a home in my cellar for some years. What do you think the shelf life is on something like this.

The Man in Brown Pants also showed up at my door yesterday! I think someone had been distracted by that chick in brown shorts
smiley3.gif
as there was a note inside the box that something had broken and a claim had been filed.
smiley19.gif
Waldo had forgotten to give the Leinie Princess the promised jar of jelly. He also sent a few other things for Poor Bert to try. Waldo is such a good soul, looking out for the better half up here.

When I sent JW his 6 bottles for my Wild Grape Wine (which I have not opened.......... and is killing me!) He got a call that ALL 6 bottles broke.......... What they do, run over it!

When I sent Wades, I marked the box Fragile, and insured it for $200, and it made it just fine.

Insurance......... It's going to rule the world.........

I once had one of the brown short boys tell me that a package wasn't done properly if you couldn't drop it from 5 feet and not have the contents break, picked up a box and demonstrated. I told the district supervisor the next day and never saw the guy again! He's delivering boxes up at the north pole I think.

Appleman, don't be too hard on the guys and gals in brown. They work for a company that's like the Gestapo, under intense pressure to move packages quickly. My roommate in college use to sort packages for UPS and spent 8 hours sorting packages here and there so quickly, he would sort packages in his sleep. It was quite a sight to behold. Edited by: dfwwino

Kudo's to anyone who works hard for their money as long as they'er not playing basketball with our packages.

PolishWineP said:
The Man in Brown Pants also showed up at my door yesterday! I think someone had been distracted by that chick in brown shorts
smiley3.gif
as there was a note inside the box that something had broken and a claim had been filed.
smiley19.gif
Waldo had forgotten to give the Leinie Princess the promised jar of jelly. He also sent a few other things for Poor Bert to try. Waldo is such a good soul, looking out for the better half up here.

I think that somewhere in a UPS distribution center, over in a corner, there lies an empty Muscadine Jelly jar
smiley7.gif

They showed up at work yesterday with a package for me all the way from
NEW YORK !!!
smiley4.gif

I opened the package carefully and
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley17.gif
smiley17.gif
smiley4.gif
smiley4.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif

IT WAS FROM JOAN !!!!

elderberrywine2.jpg

elderberrywine.jpg

Can't wait to give this one a try

Hey, the negligent shipping is not unique to UPS. I was sitting on a Southwest plane and watching the baggage handlers unload large boxes of expensive computer equipment that stated fragile, handle with care, expensive equipment. The handlers picked it up and threw it six feet in the air, where it slammed into the baggage cart. They did this on six similar boxes, each with cavilier disregard for the contents. Edited by: dfwwino

I tend to believe the handlers abuse the packages because they are not the one delivering directly to the customer. If they had to explain that the crumpled, broken, dripping package was their fault, they would be extremely careful. I work for USPS, and I get to explain why things are broken WAY TO OFTEN. Literally, I'm just the messenger. And yes, I do wear blue shorts. (not sure how distracting that is)
smiley1.gif

we had our own ups/fedex/usps shipping center for over 20 years
and know exactly what you are referring to. One of the keys for
getting shipments through safely is DO NOT MARK THE PACKAGE FRAGILE OR
BREAKABLE!!!!! Then the sorters/drivers/handlers do not know what is
inside. When it is marked breakable or fragile then they know
which ones to throw - bend - spindle or mutilate. Depends if they
are having a bad day or what!!! fyi!!

moto-girl said:
I tend to believe the handlers abuse the packages because they are not the one delivering directly to the customer. If they had to explain that the crumpled, broken, dripping package was their fault, they would be extremely careful. I work for USPS, and I get to explain why things are broken WAY TO OFTEN. Literally, I'm just the messenger. And yes, I do wear blue shorts. (not sure how distracting that is)
smiley1.gif
We dont know either as we dont have a picture of you!

Latest posts

Back