Bronze Muscadine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffemt128

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, here's my dilemma. I have bottled Bronze Muscadine made from fresh grapes and fermented on their skins. Bottles were corked with agglomerated corks several months ago and stored on their side. Wine tastes fine, IMHO, no off flavors, no off odors, and no off colors from when it was bottled.

My issue, is, I have been noticing small dark particles at the bottom of the bottles. It almost appears as the wine is reacting with the cork or the wine is dropping particles unexplained by the color. There is not a large quantity of them in the bottles but they are present.

I have bottled other white wines from the same era using the same batch of corks, however, there are no dark particles which leads me back to possibly the acidity of the muscadine variety.

Looking for suggestions as to what the particles could be. I can take a picture and post but the particles are few and far between. Should I be concerned? Right now I'm not.

Any insight would be appreciated.

without photos it's hard to tell. My first thought would be that it was bottled to soon and your just seeing sediment. Post some pics when you get them.

Don't know Doug, mine is not dropping anything. I would think it is sediment from the wine how long have you had it bottled?

I was thinking fine sediment as well as no other wines are doing this. Theses have been bottled for a couple months and they were filtered prior to bottling. It did not appear that the wine was dropping anything prior to filtering and bottling. I'm still leaning towards fine sediment.

Well if I am remembering correctly, I was getting ready to bottle but left it sit another month and sure enough, a small amount of sediment dropped out

Back