brix question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reisjdmd

Reaction score
this last weekend in south cental wisconsin i got the following readings:

frontenac- 13
marechal foch- 16
swenson red-14.5

am i on track??? after the second wettest winter in wisconsin history, we had the second wettest june in wisconsin history.

reisjdmd said:
this last weekend in south cental wisconsin i got the following readings:

frontenac- 13
marechal foch- 16
swenson red-14.5

am i on track??? after the second wettest winter in wisconsin history, we had the second wettest june in wisconsin history.

Yes you are on track. I haven't checked brix yet, but those are in line with expeced comparative maturity. The Frontenac may lag a bit behind. You want it to hang as long as you can to get brix and pH up and TA down. How long ago did they start to change color a bit?

I can sympathize with you over the rain. The last three months we have gotten about normal rainfall. The first 10 days of August saw 6 inches of rain. We have had some since and another large front is moving this way now.Edited by: appleman

6 inches?? aw man, you might be needing an ark. if it were me i would take on boardtwo bottles of every kind of wine i could get my hands on.

seriously, the grapes started turning purplish about 10 days ago. yesterday about 75% of frontenac and foch were purple [is that veraison?], but only about 25% of swenson red were "red."

thanks for holding my hand about the brix; i feel better.

happy stomping!

With reds, what you are seeing is veraison. Whites start to soften and begin to look transluscent. The Swenson Red will blast past the Frontenac soon.

moto-girl
picture the one place in south central wisconsin that is exactly 13 miles form any decent civilization; thant means groceries, court house,hardware, big box retailer, auto parts, restaurant, car repair, movie house, video rentals, steak house, golf course, cocktail lounge,etc. i think you get the idea.

now, put an "x" over that place and you will be in our back yard.

seriously, draw a line between watertown and beaver dam and we are 1/2 way along that line, just south of reeseville.

definte to of each,ha
smiley2.gif

i dont want to hear about a petty six inches :) until you get 17 inches in thirty days...then we will talk :)

I start checking my brix tomorrow....... after today's tasting i am in total awe of what the grapevine does...thanks for posting your brix..its helpful to read and compare real life stories

Latest posts

Back