Brew belt

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manitobawineo

Reaction score
I have two kits going at one time and only one brew belt. I have tried to wrap it around both, but it doesn't fit.

My question is, is the belt better used on a red or white?

Or is there a genius who knows of a way to give some heat to both??

Heat belt

I have two kits going at once and only one heating belt. I have tries to wrap the two carboys with the one belt but it doesn't fit.

My question is, is it better to have it on the red or white? If it doesn't matter, then does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can give heat to both with one belt? Also, I know its summer but my basement wine room is cold. Thanks!

Manitoba, If I had to choose one or the other, I would choose the red. Red wines benefit from higher fermenting temperatures and whites from lower.

I always try to keep my whites cool and prolong the fermentation.

Thanks Rocky! I love this forum. I am new to this and am finding it so helpful. Appreciated!

Agree with above statement! Although with kits its not to much different due to the process that the concentrate goes through. With fresh juice or fruit though whites and lighter fruits can benefit dramatically from cooler temps while reds should still stay warm during fermentation.

I keep my fermentations warm by placing carboy (or ferment bucket) in a plastic tub of water with an aquarium heater in it. Works fine for me, I keep it at about 75 F.

Given that you should keep whites cool, don't you run the risk of a stuck fermentation?

Try putting them beside each other with the belt on one. Wrap a blanket around both so they share the warmth.

cheers

I have a chard (kit wine) fermenting right now at 58-60. Primary is in a larger tub with water. I rotate frozen pop bottles and small milk jugs into the large tub. Keeps temp pretty stable. Fermentation is moving right along (EC-1118 yeast). I'll try to ferment to almost dry then rack to carboy that I'll keep at room temp. I've done this a couple times before and haven't had a stuck fermentation.

Most whites ferment better (fruitier) at 60F, so I can't think of why you would need a brew belt for the white.

Unless it is really cool in Manitoba this time of year, do you really need a brew belt for the red?

Under normal circumstances, one only needs the brew belt to get fermentation started. One started, fermentation will generate enough heat all on its own. Once fermentation slows again, one can reapply the brew belt.

Back