Other Brehm Vineyards 2008 Merlot & 2008 Cab Franc

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimCook

Reaction score
Last week, I started two pails of each of the 2008 Sangiacomo Merlot and the 2008 Russian River Valley Cabernet Franc. The BDX yeast in the Merlot worked like gangbusters and that wine was pressed on this past Saturday (7/25/09). The Cab Franc just crested the 1.020 mark as the D21 yeast move steadily forward in a relaxed state.

20090727_170536_Yeast_Pitched.jpg

The Merlot tastes more tannic than the Cabernet Sauvignon that I recently pressed. The smells on each of them is very nice and the way the wine coats the glassware is intense. The color is amazingly rich purple-red.

- Jim

That looks beautiful. I am impatiently waiting for October and my grapes.
VC

These were both pressed this past week, with the Cab Franc yielding more juice than the Merlot. The Cab Franc started a little 'soupy' in the frozen pails and was much easier to stir. There was about four gallons of pomace from the Merlot and a hair over three for the Cab Franc.

- Jim

Jim will you be doing any blending with any of these in the future? I've seen this combination along with a larger percentage of Cab.used in some of the collages from some of the Calf. winerys

Yes - my intention is to blend the Merlot and Cab Franc with the Cabernet Sauvignon wine from grapes.
- Jim

Back