Bottling Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokegrub

Reaction score
Until now I have bottled using the "spigot method". That works well except when bottling lighter colored wines in dark colored bottles then it is a pain. I bottle perhaps 300 bottles a year so my production is relatively small. What would you recommend I use to address this problem, an inexpensive bottling wand or, perhaps something more sophisticated?

Ill sometimes put a flashlight behind them to help see the level in the bottle. I just use the spring activated wand.

How about the Buon Vino gravity filler? It has overflow and auto-stop once up to the proper level.

We had some black Champagne bottles and seems I always overflowed them....they sure were pretty tho.

I'm usually sitting at the table with the window aiding me. I like using the bottling wand. I don't have the mess on the bottles that I get with the auto fill.

I am a bottling wand fan myself. It’s just good to know that when you pull the wand out, the wine is at the proper level for putting the cork in.

This is the filler I use. http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=4889 You have to work with it to get it adjusted. But when you get it set, it works pretty good. You do have to shut it off when you change bottles. Pull it out of a bottle without turning it offand you have wine everywhere.
smiley36.gif
That is experience speaking. I think you would have to shut off any filler. Once you get it set up, you can cork one bottle while you are filling another. There is one thing though. I wish it it had a longer wand on it.It doesn't reach very fardown into the bottle.It does do a lot of splashing. Edited by: swillologist

I love my cheap little spring loaded bottle filler and would only replace it with the Enolmatic filer/filter.

I tried that filler with my Chard last week. I got a lot of foam, and when the foam level reached the filler it shut off, leaving the bottle underfilled. What am I doing wrong, Swill?

Latest posts

Back