Bottled sediment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron22

Reaction score
I bottled my first batch of Apple wine I started this back in Nov. I used a gallon of Apple cider.
After last racking it looked clear and no sediment at the bottom so I thought it was time to bottle.
I Added 1 Capton table and stablized it. Then I back swettened with some frozen apple concentrate waited a day to make sure it was not formenting.
It looked good so I bottled it. Now a few weeks later I notice sediment in the bottom of the bottles. I opened one and to a SG reading and it is 1.005 were it was when I was done back sweetning it.
So did I not wait long enough to bottle it?
Or is if from using the frozen concentrate?
What should I do different next time.

Sounds like you bottled to soon.

Did you add any fining agents in? Next time use a flashlight - aim it through the carboy - if you see your light beam - it is not clear yet.

Yes you bottled too soon. Next time after the racking let it sit for atleast 30 more days, then rack again and stablize. Then I would wait atleast a week before backsweetening and bottling. This should give a better result. Good luck

I agree with what was said. When you back sweetened with frozen juice you likely introduced some fine sediment plus what didn't completely drop out prior.

So how did it taste? If you are concerned about it, prior to serving decant it through a coffee filter and let it sit to completly clear or just pour slowly and don't five the last of the bottle to a guest.

Next time. After stabizing, wait a week, back sweeten, add a fining agent like Super Kleer or just let bulk age longer until there are no signs of sediment.

Latest posts

Back