Bottle use question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

southlake333

Reaction score
I recently met up with a guy in my area that was giving away his beer bottle collection of 600+ bottles. While I initially just expected a bunch of great home brew bottles, I've found some very interesting items in his collection. I had no idea beer came in so many forms!

So anyway, 2/3 of these bottles will most likely be great for my skeeter pee (or other creations), some will just be decor and its the rest that I have questions on. Some of them have unusually shaped openings and some just look like wine bottles. My question is, how do I cap/cork/seal these? Below are 3 examples next to a standard beer bottle for reference.

bottles1-1885.jpg
bottles2-1886.jpg

As you can see, the green one appears to have a larger opening than the one next to it while both look like wine bottles. The Chimay has a very fat lip on top. There are plenty of other variations but this should give you an idea of what I'm looking at.

If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it!

All except the Chimay use bottle caps the Chimay uses a champagne style cork with cage

I think the collection was intended to some day be resold if bottles are rear. Did you check on that, before cleaning lables off?

I love Dogfishhead beers and frequently buy those larger bottles like the one you have pictured second from the left. I've started saving them, as I'd like to make a carbonated SP at some point, and I think they'd be perfect.

Back