Bottle filling from tap

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sailor065

Reaction score
Good morning and happy new year to everyone !!!!

I am thinking of installing a valve on a 23 liter plastic carbloy and fill my bottles from the valve as opposed to syphon it into them as I am doing now.

Did anyone ever try this ?

I am looking for inputs as to this would work or not.

Thank you

For racking, I usually siphon. But for bottle filling, if no chance of sediment being moved, I use the valve on my 60 and 100 L HDPE barrels. They have been raised to allow gravity to operate the bottle filling.

But for that -- also requires value prep work.

- Before filling the final aging barrel clean the valve very well (as in soak to disinfect). Attach to the barrel.
- Cut off some rubber glove fingers. And rubber band them to the end of the valve to keep it clean over time.
- Before bottling, remove rubber finger, and using cleaning brush dipped in a sulfite solution, clean out the inside of the valve.
- Attach pipe to valve end, open top of barrel, then you are ready to fill bottles.

Do note: Using a filling wand or bottling station is recommended. Not recommend turning off and on the valve between bottles.

EA1A51BD-2C90-43CA-BC0E-64505E970B11.png
Good morning and happy new year to everyone !!!!

I am thinking of installing a valve on a 23 liter plastic carbloy and fill my bottles from the valve as opposed to syphon it into them as I am doing now.

Did anyone ever try this ?

I am looking for inputs as to this would work or not.

Thank you

Yes, this is done all of the time, though mostly from buckets with valves on them, I have four such buckets. No different at all to install one on a food grade plastic carboy and use for bottling, just make sure there’s no sediment in the bottom at bottling time.
Lots of the online and local outlets sell the valves for a few bucks, above are from FVW, if you can drill a hole and turn a threaded bushing, you’re in business!!

I did it that way before I got my Allinone. I put a 3" piece of tubing on my bottling wand then attached it to the valve. Then just slide the bottle up the wand. The punted bottles are a pain, but otherwise it works good. Note: the valve needs to be taken off and cleaned often too.

Latest posts

Back