Books

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xanxer82

Reaction score
I keep seeing a certain book being referenced in these forums, so I looked it up and ordered it.
"Making Wild Wines & Meads:
125 Unusual Recipes Using Herbs, Fruits, Flowers & More"

I also saw a book about Sacred & Healing Beers. I think I may get that too next year when I attempt to do a beer.
I can't wait to get my book and explore it a bit more.
What other books do you guys (and gals) recommend?
</font>

The Compleate Meade Maker by Ken Schramm is another good one.

I'll post more in a couple of days when I get near my library of wine books.

For beer my favorite books are How to Brew by John Palmer, Brewing Classic Styles by John Palmer and Jamil Zainasheff, and Radical Brewing by Randy Moiser. These books will cover everything you ever wanted to know about brewing beer today and in the past. My favorite wine book is From Vines to Wines by Jeff Cox. The Winemakers Answer Book and Homebrewers Answer book from the publisher of Winemaker and Homebrew magazine are also on the top of my list. I have dozens of other books but these are the ones I refer to on a regular basis if I have a question or are helping someone else answer a question.

Smurfe got the ones that I also recommend. If you are looking to learn about Wine as well (the enjoying, not just the making)Wine by Andre Domine is a great start.

I have

From Vines to Wines: The Complete Guide to Growing Grapes and Making Your Own Wine

The Way to Make Wine: How to Craft Superb Table Wines at Home

Kit Winemaking: The Illustrated Beginner's Guide to Making Wines from Concentrate

All very good and available from Amazon

ibglowin said:
I have

From Vines to Wines: The Complete Guide to Growing Grapes and Making Your Own Wine

The Way to Make Wine: How to Craft Superb Table Wines at Home

Kit Winemaking: The Illustrated Beginner's Guide to Making Wines from Concentrate

All very good and available from Amazon
I'm going to pick up the book on grape growing. We have a large untapped market in MD. Our law is that md wineries need to buy md grapes before using any other source and currently we only produce 50% of what we use as a state.
I think a vineyard would be a profitable venture here if I grew vinefera

Does MD have the proper climate for vinifera? You might want to talk to Appleman to see if you can make a go of pure Vinifera.

I've been doing some research on the Maryland grape growers association. There are a few vinefera varieties that do well here and some that don't. They have a great list of what will and wong grow do well here. I think applemans advice will greatly welcomed and appreciated as will any advice from the guys and gals here that know about wine grapes :)

Big Ike said:
Come on, we're guys, we don't read instructions!

More importantly, we're cocky, self-assured know-it-all winemkaing guys!

That's right - if you don't bother to read the one page instructions that come with the kit, your 400 page book on grape-growing is just for decoration, right?

BartReeder said:
More importantly, we're cocky, self-assured know-it-all winemkaing guys!That's right - if you don't bother to read the one page instructions that come with the kit, your 400 page book on grape-growing is just for decoration, right?

That's Right! Now let me make sure my wife agrees...

Latest posts

Back