Blueberry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Contemplating making some blueberry wine. Did folks add lemon to the DB recipe? I would be aiming for a LOT of fruit per gallon, at least twice the DB recipe, maybe three times. Might not need additional acid because of that, right?

DB is one thing; blueberry wine another.

The OP basically substituted blueberries and subtracted the lemon from the fruit in DB.... Vern and Dan were talking over fine points of making blueberry wine.

Anyone can make wine however they want to..
But there is a difference between the two; both in procedures and in the final product.

You sound like you may be trying to get your feet wet with procedures other than the DB recipe, but I hate to assume too much... I'd be more than glad to help though.

As for your acidity question, when you get into substantial amounts of fruits, it really does come down to testing. The same plants will produce fruit of differing quality from year to year, because of the weather; and thats not mentioning the fact that most of us aren't sure our fruit comes from the same exact plants year-after-year, further differing the fruit we have to work with

Ta. In the country wine for you can see my wine diary and what I have been up to.

What would you say are the big differences between DB wines and other wines? They are made pretty much the same way...?

What would you say are the big differences between DB wines and other wines? They are made pretty much the same way...?

DB is more along the lines of 'a little bit of fruit in a lot of water', where the truer essence of a fruit wine is more along the lines of 'a little bit of water in a lot of fruit'.

This changes the finished yield / amount of fruit needed; the natural sugar and acidity levels pre-adjustments (as well as the buffering capacity of the pH); the flavor, aroma and body of the must and finished wine

The overall process is generally the same, but there's different challenges

Right, yeah, I figured that was the case - which is good, as it means I am learning hehehehe.

If you see the diary thread (and can answer any questions!!!) you will note I have a blackcurrant DB under way with at least double the fruit. I like how it is going so far - but I definitely like having a stronger fruit flavor than I think a straight DB would produce.

Following....
Seems like Blueberry may be one of the most preferred fruit wines compared to strawberry, blackberry and raspberry. I assume it is the less acidic among them?

My blueberry "skeeter pee" just replace the type of berries. It's not bad at all. Now blueberry wine is different, I'm still aging mine but it's looking good. Not sure if I'll even bottle it till this years harvest

well i had a sample of mine yesterday and i do bealive i am leaving it as it is. i like the taste of it now even this young and i can tell a big difference from the first taste i had of it a couple weeks ago. it fermented to dry in my primary to like .996 when i racked and sorbated it and added sparklelloid. i also fermented it with the skins on i just chopped my blueberrys in the blender when they were half frozen still....i also have great color.....hopefully ill have a few pics soon

Latest posts

Back