Blueberry Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep us posted Dave. I've been very lazy with this one. I really need to rack, back sweeten with the concentrate and fortify.

OK. Wow. It's been a while since I updated this. I've racked once since last post and put some French oak on this. Today, after a racking, I FINALLY back sweetened with a 50/50 mix of concentrates - Merlot and Blueberry. I also fortified with Brandy. I'm going to let it sit a few weeks, so any sediment in the concentrates can settle out. Then I'll bottle.

PS: Mods, I guess this should be moved to the port/fortified wines section.

OK. Wow. It's been a while since I updated this. I've racked once since last post and put some French oak on this. Today, after a racking, I FINALLY back sweetened with a 50/50 mix of concentrates - Merlot and Blueberry. I also fortified with Brandy. I'm going to let it sit a few weeks, so any sediment in the concentrates can settle out. Then I'll bottle.

PS: Mods, I guess this should be moved to the port/fortified wines section.

Well, a few weeks turned into several months. :D I stole a sample from the carboy last night and this stuff rocks!! I'll be bottling before I move at the end of next month.

Can anyone tell me what flavor or just in general what the DME adds?

Also, if I base something off of this recipe, does it have to be a higher ABV?
I've got the ingredients coming for a blackberry wine and I think this recipe might do very nicely, but I'm not wanting it to be a port. I was thinking of making it around 12-13% ABV.

I think the DME is more about body/mouthfeel than flavor. But it also adds sugars. I think you could make a great 'regular', non-fortified wine based on the recipe.

Thanks.
I'll start my own thread so as not to threadjack yours anymore. I'd appreciate your input once I get rolling on it.

As with all steps on this wine, the final steps got delayed. I did NOT get this bottled before the move (which happened in May). In fact, I just got it bottled a week or so ago. After the move and some resting time, I actually gave it some more French oak. I'm really liking this batch. Just wanted to close the loop on this one and officially call it done.

Blueberry Port.jpg

Latest posts

Back