Blueberry Melomel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
Well I started my 1st batch in my new room and it feels good to have alot of clean area.

6 gallon batch of above

15 lbs. of honey

9 lbs. frozen Wymans wild blueberries

3 lbs fresh blueberries frozen

3/8 tsp liquid pectic enzyme
6 tsp acid blend

2 quarts Wymans blueberry juice

4.5 gallons hot water to stir up the honey and breakdown the blueberries better.
6 tsp of yeast nutrient
3 tsp yeast energizer

6 crushed campden tabs since I still have some and will only use them in the beginning and to make sanitizer.
Starting SG of 1.100

Red Star Pasteur Red yeast.

20070520_214234_Batch.jpg

20070520_214521_Sack_o_Blueberr.jpg

20070520_214610_Going.jpg

Edited by: wade

Looks yummy Wade. That one should be tasty when done. You are anticipating finally using the encapsulator - you alreay have it out ready to use! That room looks just too new and unused. The blueberry would make a nice color for a good little stain on the floor- just spill a little
smiley36.gif

Looking good wade. What type of honey are you using? Is it a local honey?

A melomel is a type of mead made with fruit or fruit juice in addition to the honey.

Store bought Waldo. BJ's clover and Aunt Sues Pure raw wild honey. I know I should have gone to a local but, but, I just seen these in the stores and bought them over time.

Thanks wade I see the list now, Just a question why didnt you just say 12 lbs of frozen blueberries why did u break it up and write 9 lbs of frozen wild and 3 lbs of fresh frozen blueberries, sorry if this seems trivial but It popped into my head so I asked lol

Oh yes is there a difference when using the honey as opposed to sugar?

Trigham said:
Thanks wade I see the list now, Just a question why didnt you just say 12 lbs of frozen blueberries why did u break it up and write 9 lbs of frozen wild and 3 lbs of fresh frozen blueberries, sorry if this seems trivial but It popped into my head so I asked lol

Ive done the same thing Trig, I assume like myself, when using fresh fruit Wade freezes them first to concentrate the sugars in them. Using a mixture of the two, frozen from the store, and fresh can make a very slight difference depending on how ripe the fresh fruit was when harvested. Freezing the fresh will help, as usually it is picked before fully ripe and sugars are fully developed.

Wade the room looks great. I agree with appleman, you need a couple of stains on the counter and floor....

Blueberry color is awesome, its fun to watch it change and develop over the turning to wine process.

Trig, the honey definetly gives it a different taste and much smoother
body. You needto make a mead my friend and this is basically Waldo's
recipe that I adjusted a little to my taste. I made a 1 gallon batch
last year and was so sorry I only made that. This ones gonna have a lot
of blueberry flavor!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now its time to go downstairs and see if any are bubbling.

Edited by: wade

wade said:
Trig, the honey definetly gives it a different taste and much smoother body. You needto make a mead my friend and this is basically Waldo's recipe that I adjusted a little to my taste. I made a 1 gallon batch last year and was so sorry I only made that. This ones gonna have a lot of blueberry flavor!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now its time to go downstairs and see if any are bubbling.

Wade could u do that recipe with a combination of berries, I mean raspeberry,strawberry, blackberry and blueberry combined. I have about70 lbs of it frozen from wymans factory sitting in my freezer.

Absolutely, youll just have to adjust the acid a little to accomodate it.

wade said:
Absolutely, youll just have to adjust the acid a little to accomodate it.

Wade when u say adjust it, do u mean add or subtract and why if i may ask?

Yes that is what I mean and each fruit can be more acidic then another
and being to much acid in the wine or not enough. In kit wines this is
already adjusted for us. Its just a simple powder added to the
must.

Hey...get yer nose outa the fermenter and get us a picture of it buddy
smiley36.gif

Will do tomorrow when I punch down again, was a little busy installing
all the trim that is now all stained and poly'd, put up a smoke/carbon
mon. detector, door stops and a vinyl curtain to hide the oil tank that
you guys dont know about.

Latest posts

Back