Blueberry mead...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve in KC

Reaction score
Racked thisoff the fruit this morning...

DSC00023.jpg

to get this...

DSC00136.jpg

Steve:

Looks good. Any thoughts on what to top up with? I was thinking about that with mine. Thinking if it's dry Could do Welch's ........ probably white grape juice. They don't have a blueberry or blackberry do they? I know they have a rasberry, which is what I'll be using in my mixed berry batch.

jobe05 said:
Steve:

Looks good. Any thoughts on what to top up with? I was thinking about that with mine. Thinking if it's dry Could do Welch's ........ probably white grape juice. They don't have a blueberry or blackberry do they? I know they have a rasberry, which is what I'll be using in my mixed berry batch.

Actually, I'm not going to top this up. There is a blanket of C02 on top. This was the same recipe as the ancient orange, so it is still sweet. I've been sampling all along (1/2 oz at a time) and it's definitely a desert mead. Those blueberries were nasty looking when I dumped them. YUCK!

Steve did you put the blueberries in at the git go or did you put them later i wanna do a persimmon mead (melomel) with the same recipe. i have some in the freezer.

Harry

Steve I am sorry i forgot to tell you your Blueberry looks good

Harry

That's alright, Harry. All is forgiven.

Here's the recipe:

1 12oz. pkg frozen blueberry's, thawed and smushed, thrown into santitzed carboy

3.5 lbs (4.5 cups) of clover honey dissolved in water to 1 gallon at 100ºF.

Waited until must was 90ºF to pitch yeast (no starter made, just pitched it)

Had fermentation within 15 minutes.

This has sat on the fruit and lees for 1 month. I racked it off and will allow it to clear. The blueberry taste is DEFINITELY present.

Okay, I"m going to be a dork.

I think your wine looksgreat, but I love the tiles you have. This is in your kitchen?!?!?

The blueberry I made is taking it's time to age. I just cracked open a bottle tonight, actually, and it's not quite rocket-fuel, but it's a grade less.

I'm interested in the following posts!

smiley32.gif

Again, Kudos to ya, Steve!

Whoops,

I have to add, depending on your SG, you might want to top off the jug. If it's under 1.020, top it off.

I see this is more of a meady-thing, but that would be my suggestion. Too much O2 for too long might harm your good-lookin' melomel/wine/mead.
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back