Blood from a turnip? Call Popeil juicer?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rshosted

Reaction score
Ok, maybe I'm being a little dramatic in my subject line...

I was thinking of making a peach or apple wine. I have a juicer similar to a popeil (only cheaper, but works the same). I was wondering if anyone has used this technology to get the juice out? and if there are any downsides to this?

I thought I might try this, then take the pulpe and put it into a straining bag and let the pulp spend time in the must also...

I have read some use a steam juicer, but why not a mechanical one?

Thanks in advance,
Ryan

I've used one - it works great! It takes a lot of time and patience, though. It's easier to chop up the fruit and put it in a bag. If you use a dejuicer, though, you really don't need the pulp, in my opinion.

Ok, I'm about to show my ignorance here. When you 'just chop up the fruit' does it release all the juice?

Do you have to press it?

I was thinking that the pulp might add some tannins in some fruit?

I have used a Juiceman occasionally for some of the fruits tested. Martina is correct about the "pulp." Adding tannin would be alot easier than dealing with alot of pulp if its the tannin that you are concerned about. However, I recently made a Starfruit wine and used the Juiceman to extract the juice first...then, I took all of the pulp that had remained which also had to some degree of juice combined in the pulp, and put that into a container with cold water in the refrigerator. Leaving it there for a couple of days, I then pressed extracting a "second juice" from the pulp which added more fruit flavor...then discarded the pulp totally. Edited by: Maui Joe

I use a steam juice extractor
2006-01-07_151835_steam-juicers_1871_106844.jpg

I love it, but have read that people are saying that it sets peptic hazes...I am new to this and don't know the difference.
You put the fruit in the top basket, water in the bottom pot and the steam rises through a cone in the middle pot and comes out the spigot/tube...clear, pure juice. I then pasteurize it an seal it in mason jars for later. Make all kinds of breakfast juices, and now juices for wines. Apples are slow to extract the juice, but berries and other fruits work great. The wines clear quickly, no pulp in the must.
They are not cheap. Waldo saw one on eBay , not sure if he got it or not.
smiley17.gif
2006-01-07_152424_SJ.jpg

I guess that you have proved thus far that "no pectin haze" is present when using the steam juice extractor.

I have read somewhere about using "steam juice extractors" that the "heat" would cause to some degree, a lost of natural nutrients, viatamins, etc. that would actually benefit towards yeast growth and fermentation. But if itseems to work using this method of extracting juices for making wine..
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
!

This is an ad in a wine supply catalog.

STEAM JUICER
Used to steam the juice from your favorite fruits for wine making, canning or just to drink. Comes with complete directions. Made of polished stainless steel. Includes free shipping to the 48 states.
Click Picture for more Information

Some of the people selling the juicers OnLine are now mentioning wine making in their ads. So, it's up to the individual and what fruits you are using.
smiley17.gif

I guess I'm a bit daft and don't see how you get juice from a fruit without crushing it. I see a lot of reciepes that say just cut the fruit into peices and put it in a little bit of hot water.... It would seem you wouldn't get as much out of it, but if you juiced it you would.

Is everyone here saying that if you just cut it up and put it in, the juice will 'fall' out of it?

Cutting any fruit up into small bits works well. Soft fruits can then be hand
mushed in the straining bag while harder fruits such as apples or pumpkins
can be run through a food processor quickly and put in the bag. That's all
you really need to do. The fermentation process breaks down the solids a
good deal, and they can be gently squeezed in the bag when it is removed at
the end of fermenting.

If you choose to juice the fruits (can be a lot of work!) then you don't really
need the left over pulp unless you want to add it. Think of making apple
wine - you can make the effort to mince the apples for the primary, or just
buy pressed juice (fresh cider) and ferment that directly with less sediment.
Cider is what you'd get out of your juicer, unprocessed apple juice.

Latest posts

Back