Blew it Big Time

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New Kid

Reaction score
I was in the process of racking and filtering a Riesling Kit. Got a phone call which interrupted me and oh my GOSH, I bottled but forgot the Potassium Sorbate! Now what in the world do I do!?

Relax !!!

Add 1/4tsp to a small amount of water and add.

Simple..
smiley32.gif

Tepe,
I think it may be tough for her to add the sorbate now that it is bottled, not just racked.

Nevertheless, my advice also is to relax - sorbate is a valuable preservative, but is not absolutely necessary to making and having a good wine. It prevents/inhibits growth of some bad stuff after bottling, which is why it so widely used as a food preservative. As long as you got your K-meta in there and aren't planning on aging the wine for 5+ years, you should be fine. Don't sweat it - wine is remarkably good at taking care of itself. It's also happy to get all the TLC it can, however.

Bart

LOL.. I missed the fact she bottled. You are right.
I dont sorbate every wine. Kit manufactures addsorbate because of being a 4-6 week to bottling and some adding a f-pac. When you do a MLF they say NOT to add any sorbate. As long as its finished fermenting/aging you be fine.

As long as you did not backsweeten the kit and assuming fermentation was complete, you should have no problem.

I agree with above posts but if you sweetened them uncork them very soon or youll have TROUBLE!</font>

Thank all of you for the great tips! FORTUNATELY I had not yet corked! So I mixed my Sorbate and carefully eyedropped the bottles to get exactly their share!! It's the old chemistry classes coming out! Anyway, thanks for the encouragement as well. When ya got family in crisis and on the phone, there are a lot of things you forget to do! The wine will be OK and the family too...that's the bottom line.

Latest posts

Back