BLACKBERRY WINE

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Hey!

It's alive! It's aaaliiive!!!!

I started my 6 gal. batch about 10pm last wednesday. After leaving the metasulfite for 12 hours I added my Red Star Premier Cuveeyeast noon thursday.

The little yeasties started eating last night.
I was concerned because I put them in yesterday afternoon and by last evening I had nothing.
Late last night though,they started belching. He he he he.
Today they're rolling right along a full throtle.

Later tonight or tomorrowI'll do another s.g. readto see what's happening but I'm like-n what I see so far.

Here's to happy yeasties and Holidays!

QUESTION:
I mistakenly added like twice the proper amount of acid blend. What's gonna happen and do I need to worry about it?

That will make it very tart and put the PH out of balance possibly. Without testing there really is no way to find out.
Edited by: wade

This is my latest 6 gal. batch of blackberrywine.
I'm fermenting it in my den where I have a small gas heater that maintains a fairly regular 76 degree temp.

20071209_083458_Img_1798.gif

As you cansee, the bung is bubbling along quite well at about three belches per second. When I started this must it had a s.g. of 1.080
Last night (1.5 days after yeast), it was down to 1.060
I added no oak to this brew as I'm looking for absolute fruit aroma and taste in this brew.
I'm anticipating an abv of somewherenear 11%.
20071209_082819_Img_1799.gif

Happy whining folks!

I see you have a valve on your plastic bucket. Does it leak????? Mine drips constantly so i never use one of my buckets. Some Italian valve or something???

Scotty:
Yes and no.

Yes I have a valve on my bucket.
I love it and prefer its convenience hands downto siphoning my thief samples during fermintation since I seem to be sampling every day.
Plus, it's nice to open it and rack straight into my carboy from.

Does it leak?
The valve, similar to the Italian Bottling Spigot thatfits 5/16 inch and 3/8 inch tubing, came with two washers. One for inside the bucket and one for outside the bucket.
When I first applied it, I tightened it down to hand tight and yes. It did leak. However, after tightening it by hand again, it stopped leaking.
The valve spout after use,does continue to drop a drop or two after it's been closed but that stops after a couple drops and with this one,you can invert the spout without turning the threaded post.

Bear in mind that tightening is a fine line.
Not enough and the seal is not made and the vessel leaks.
Over tightening will crush the gaskets out of shape and allow liquid to pass around them.
Play with it till you get it right and you'll never be without one.
Mike

scotty said:
Thanks for the tip. Ill try to adjust the tightness.
smiley1.gif

My leak is from the spout and not where it passes through the bucket.

Scotty:
I found that my spout opens all the way if I turn it full to left, drips slightly if I turn it full to right and seals properly only when in the mid position.
Go figure.
Mike

ok ill try that--- i never even thought of experimenting with that.
Thanks again

Back