Blackberry wine Ques?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill B

Reaction score
Hi all, I just picked up 5 gal of Blackberry juice from Walkers Fruit Basket and will be starting it soon. My ques is. Will adding OAK add anything to Blackberry wine ?On my Blueberry it made a world of difference. I was just wondering if anyone has added oak to their Blackberry

Bill

Hi Bill B,

You might want to ask Hippie about that. I just bottled my blackberry, didn't oak it but would like to try it if I get the chance again. I've put mine away and hope to forget about it until it ages properly. It is very good now but given the time I will enjoy it so much more.

Ramona

I have a recipe for blueberry that has oak in it. I am currently making it now, so I don't have results for it, but since the recipe says oak goes in it, I am sure there's a reason.
smiley36.gif

I'd add it, but that's just me.
smiley1.gif

Yes, Go ahead and use some oak with the blackberry. You will love it. I add cubes from the start of the must and into bulk aging, but you should taste often as you might not like it as much as I do. Just rinse them and readd at each racking. I leave them in the wine for sometimes up to 12 weeks, but the 3 oz. package says 8 weeks.

smiley20.gif

Thanks All. OAK it is. I had such good results after oaking my Blueberry (15 weeks) I just wanted to be sure.

OH, before I forget any thoughts on Oaking CHERRY?

Bill

ok, its not a blackberry question, but blueberry. For some reason, my S.G. went from 1.040 to .986 in 6 days after I racked into a secondary carboy. Now, I need to rack it off of the lees. My question is...When I rack it again, should I stabilize and add the K-Meta and sweetener, then age?? or what?? I dont want to bottle just yet, but I want to get it off the lees.

rack it off the lees.

add k-meta.

when you add sorbate and sugar is up to you.

If it were my wine, I'd first add the k-meta, let it sit for a while(until it stops dropping sediment), and then add the other stuff.

thanks. so if it was yours, you would wait to rack and just add the k-meta. Then rack after it stops dropping sediment?

Ok then here goes.

Rack off the lees into a clean and sanitized carboy into which you have put the required amount of Potassium Metabisulphite. Also add the required amount of Potassium Sorbate if you plan on sweetening later. Do not top up this carboy as of yet. It will be outgassing like mad trying to rid itself of CO2 after you get it all agitated. You will think it is mad for sure. After a day or 3 it will calm down. Top up very well at this time with spring water or wine of your choice. Leave topped up and airlocked for 4 weeks and rack off the sediment again, but no need to add anything unless you plan on sweetening, (ask about that then if you are unsure) keep topped up very well. Topped up very well means 1 inch down from the bottom of the airlock stem or if your airlock stem does not extend through the bung, from the bottom of the bung. Does this help you, young Grasshopper? Remember always, the advice on this great forum is free.

smiley33.gif

lol....so, im now the young grasshopper?? Very well, Master Hippie. One day, I will snatch the hydrometer from your hand!

Very good info. I did rack and add the K-Meta and Sodium Pentathol, uhhh, I mean Potassium Sorbate. I certainly am going to sweeten it later. OK, now I can just leave it alone and work on my peach/nectarine wine. Very cool, thanks.

Latest posts

Back