blackberry wine, malolactic, and acid balance

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doughowe

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all,
I've got blackberry wine that appears to have finished primary fermentation after a couple of weeks. It has a SG of 0.997. Despite that, I'm getting quite a bit of bubbling in my air lock. I'm thinking this may be a natural malolactic fermentation going on? If so, is this a bad thing? Should I go ahead and add KMBS and stop it? Blackberries have a lot of malic acid, don't they? I'm worried if I let it go I may end up with a flat low TA wine unless I add more acid later? Complicating this a little more, I added K carbonate to raise the pH a little before fermentation, so if the malic acid goes to lactic and I have to add more acid (tartaric or blend?) back, I'm concerned about precip of tartrates down the road. Are these valid concerns?

Thanks for any insights!

Doug

I also have a finished mixed berry I have decided to add a malolactic acid culture to process to malic acid to lactic to improve the taste so far so good. I have found out slow MFL fermentation will mellow out the malic acid without forming acetic acid the right culture helps,

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back